Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,692   Online: 856

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1721222324252627

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just supply and demand. When someone finally manages to bag some unreasonable asking price for a certain lens or camera, everyone holding holding one of those things will suddenly spring into action and put theirs up for sale. What was once "rare" suddenly becomes abundant and the price will drop drastically. Timing is everything. For example, the best time to bid on select field lenses is when everyone into that kind of thing is out in the field, or around Christmas, when people are trying to drum up cash. Or this whole switch to digi. But overall, it's by far the most affordable time in history to acquire film lenses, bodies, and serious darkroom gear. There's simply a glut of good stuff out there. The down side of that fact is that it discourages manufacturers and retailers from getting involved in any new products.
    The mantra of the new era is more and more things which go rapidly obsolete and are frequently repurchased, ala consumer electronics.
    I prefer to ignore all that stuff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That is of course not to mention that a BRAND NEW 4X5 camera from cahmonix or shenhao costs under 1000$ - where in the world can you by a top of line camera body for that money? add 1-2 never used "used" lenses, and you are still under 2000$, with plenty to spare for a large amount of nice modern holders, and other bits, that will last a life time, and will still be the same level of quality in 6 months time.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    That is of course not to mention that a BRAND NEW 4X5 camera from cahmonix or shenhao costs under 1000$ - where in the world can you by a top of line camera body for that money? add 1-2 never used "used" lenses, and you are still under 2000$, with plenty to spare for a large amount of nice modern holders, and other bits, that will last a life time, and will still be the same level of quality in 6 months time.
    This reminds me of the prices of some used gear, there's a guy who is selling a 4x5 metal field camera for $5,000, he says it's like the Mercedes of 4x5 field but it's heavy and go would pay $5,000 for a used one when they could buy a Chamonix45n-2 for $1,000 brand new...

So just proves pricing is all over the place.

(PS after like 8 months he's slowly dropped the price to $3,000 I think... It just makes me wonder what's so great about it... Lol.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK - how's this for cheap and new (if it gets off the ground):

http://www.theintrepidcamera.co.uk/

I saw this on another forum - those behind it are looking at a kick-starter scheme to get it up and running

OK, it looks like it comes from IKEA, but if what they are reporting is right, the price is right @ around £89-119 for the kick-starter...

But then again, I have hardly seen a positive comment on that other forum (but I think they might be pitching it at the wrong community)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin