Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,844   Online: 1004

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to say, this news about the lenses is really bothering me now. I'm not currently in the market for any lenses, but it is quite distressing nevertheless. It's pretty much the end if anyone ever needs a new LF lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't understand the reluctance to buy used. It will have been owned either by a pro who made his living from it, or a hardcore enthusiast like most of us. As for KEH, I have to wonder if they are putting their best stuff on ebay and just selling the lower cost stuff in their store. Myself, my first camera was a Cambo 4x5 monorail. It's in very good shape but I wonder if I could even give it away. Here's what I think will happen down the road. If there is a demand for new monorails, a company like Chamonix, Shen Hao or Tachichara will start making them. They already are in the LF business and have the distribution. Their cameras are very good quality and yet low price. Lenses are another question though. I don't see why a good Rodenstock lens would be prefectly fine for another fifty years. Glass is pretty stable. The Copal shutter will start wearing out, but if there is a demand wouldn't Shen Hao, Samsung, or some similar company either license the shutter or build a new one? Today I just gave the OK for one of my shutters to be rebuilt and then returned to me. It's a Compound made around 1910. The repair guy said he will have to make a new part for it and then it will be ticking like new. I guess what I'm getting at here is the LF stuff I already have will no doubt still be working long after I'm not.

Finally, nearly all the camera gear I purchase is used. The last new thing I bought new was a Nikon D7100, just over a year ago. Just can't justify spending big bucks when the same stuff is available on ebay.
    Last edited by Two23; 07-21-2014 at 08:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I have to say, this news about the lenses is really bothering me now. I'm not currently in the market for any lenses, but it is quite distressing nevertheless. It's pretty much the end if anyone ever needs a new LF lens.
    I must also say that this news is distressing to me as well. I was completely oblivious to this!

I bought a couple of new Rodenstock lenses [for 8x10] about 8 or 9 years ago and sold all my used Schneider and Rodenstock lenses (for hundreds of dollars each / not thousands of $$). I now wish I had kept my used lenses!
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Concern re: LF lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I don't understand the reluctance to buy used. It will have been owned either by a pro who made his living from it, or a hardcore enthusiast like most of us. As for KEH, I have to wonder if they are putting their best stuff on ebay and just selling the lower cost stuff in their store. Myself, my first camera was a Cambo 4x5 monorail. It's in very good shape but I wonder if I could even give it away. Here's what I think will happen down the road. If there is a demand for new monorails, a company like Chamonix, Shen Hao or Tachichara will start making them. They already are in the LF business and have the distribution. Their cameras are very good quality and yet low price. Lenses are another question though. I don't see why a good Rodenstock lens would be prefectly fine for another fifty years. Glass is pretty stable. The Copal shutter will start wearing out, but if there is a demand wouldn't Shen Hao, Samsung, or some similar company either license the shutter or build a new one? Today I just gave the OK for one of my shutters to be rebuilt and then returned to me. It's a Compound made around 1910. The repair guy said he will have to make a new part for it and then it will be ticking like new. I guess what I'm getting at here is the LF stuff I already have will no doubt still be working long after I'm not.

Finally, nearly all the camera gear I purchase is used. The last new thing I bought was a Nikon D7100, just over a year ago. Just can't justify spending big bucks when the same stuff is available on ebay.
    I can only speak for myself . . . . lenses could be broken or stolen. It is reassuring to know that whatever you are using is amply available out there, whether new or used. The moment new items/equipment is no longer manufactured, people start buying the used stuff. One day, if one needs a lens (for example), one would then have to deal with a supply/demand ratio unfavorable to the buyer - not a very good situation for the buyer.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRosa View Post
    I can only speak for myself . . . . lenses could be broken or stolen. It is reassuring to know that whatever you are using is amply available out there, whether new or used. The moment new items/equipment is no longer manufactured, people start buying the used stuff. One day, if one needs a lens (for example), one would then have to deal with a supply/demand ratio unfavorable to the buyer - not a very good situation for the buyer.
    Just my 2 cents.
    P.S. If one can afford it . . . . there is nothing like YOUR own brand-new camera or brand-new lens, or brand-new meter, or brad-new motorcycle, or brand-new car!
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think we are still in the golden years of used LF lenses, but at some point, prices will start to creep upward I bet.

It would be wise for companies like Ilford, Chamonix, Toyo, Ebony and other LF camera makers to engage in dialogue to perhaps underwrite some collaborative of SK Grimes, LF lens repair techs and other optical folk that really can take any existing LF lens and bring it up to spec, especially the Copal shutters which will eventually need a CLA.

The only LF lens I have thought about adding to my set of 8 mint ones is the 110 XL, that and the Apo Sironar S lenses ( I already have ) seem to be the stuff of legend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    . . . . lenses could be broken or stolen. ..... The moment new items/equipment is no longer manufactured, people start buying the used stuff. One day, if one needs a lens (for example), one would then have to deal with a supply/demand ratio unfavorable to the buyer - not a very good situation for the buyer.
    Just my 2 cents.

But if they are stolen, they'll just end up back in circulation on Craigs List. As for the supply/demand ratio, it's in constant flux. If supply relative to demand gets high enough, someone will start making them again, somewhere. Just look at the Polish guy making 8x10 cameras now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Just look at the Polish guy making 8x10 cameras now.
    An 8x10 camera is a LOT easier to make than the 210 SS XL that would go on the front of it....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    P.S. If one can afford it . . . . there is nothing like YOUR own brand-new camera or brand-new lens, or brand-new meter, or brad-new motorcycle, or brand-new car!
    Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm picking on you, but I have a different angle on photo gear. I am attracted to it BECAUSE it is old. Have lenses from the 1840s, 1910s, all different periods. I love my cameras from the 1920s--Voigtlander Bergheil, Gundlach Korona, ICA Cocarette, Kodak Panoram, Ansco Memo, and 1930s--Voigtlander Bessa, Leica IIIc, etc. I use them because they connect me to the people of the past, to photographic history. I love the romance about them as much as the utility of making images. If I could only shoot new, modern gear, I probably wouldn't be involved in LF at all. I do admit I'm a little weird though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    large format photography is a cottage industry, the manufacturers know that ...
    worrying about when rodenstock or schneider stops making new lenses, or that cooke stops making soft focus or triple convertibles anymore
    is just like worrying that fidelity stopped making film holders ... and there won't be any left ...
    there's plenty out there ... and will be for a long time.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin