Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,355   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all,

I appreciate your expertise. Robert, I think I have to revert to a wooden field camera, basically because the winters here in minnesota are really cold, and anything metal will destroy my fingers. (thank God for wooden tripods).
    So far I've gotten really good impressions of the Shen-Hao cameras. Lots of people have recommended them.
    Steve, the only other thing I would need is tilt and swing of the front standard to control depth of field. I don't need a lot of movements, but I do need to be able to have full control of the DOF. Without it I'm confined to work at really small apertures, due to the nature of the work that I do where the camera is really close to the ground, and everything (mostly) is in focus.

I'll be looking around for new and used cameras, and I have a better hunch now than I did before. Thanks a lot!

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I ordered my Shen-Hao from badger graphic, they didn't have any cases left so he knocked $25 off the price. Jeff said the case was chintsy anyway and i've got no use for one. He may knock $25 off the price if you don't want a case.
    Overall i'd say its a good camera with all the movements you'll need. It doesn't have front shift though. Get some loctite and add it to all the screws on the moving parts if you want to avoid missing them. I use a 90mm with mine quite a bit and i've really been wanting the bag bellows. It gets hard to focus when the bellows are jammed together and the front standard settles after you lock it down. The only problem with the bag bellows is they don't allow the camera to fold up when installed.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I ordered my Shen-Hao from badger graphic, they didn't have any cases left so he knocked $25 off the price. Jeff said the case was chintsy anyway and i've got no use for one.
    That's surprising since the case that came with my HZX45-IIA is anything but "chintzy." It's pretty substantial protection.

I would highly recommend the Shen-Hao for field work. But then, I'm a bit biased on the subject.
    Dean Tomasula
    The Place for Pix
    Stock and Fine Art Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got my Shen-Hao from MPEX with the aluminum case (for the same price as Badger was getting at the time without the case), and it's a nice case. Nice dense foam inside; strong, solid aluminum sides; a decent luggage lock.

Unfortunately, it's just big enough for the camera and nothing else...which makes it pretty worthless for anything other than storing the camera. My camera hasn't been in the case since the day I got it. My advice is to skip the case if you can save $5 or more by doing so.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's like the 5x7 case the problem is it weighs too much. Mine is fine for storing the camera [and not much elses] but it almost out weighs the camera. Have to admit I'd like it more if it was bigger. Then I could store all it's stuff together.

Dean

I have registered but can not log on.
    Please contact me at:richard.ilomaki@fmglobal.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Agreed. I would also not rule out metal field camera, there are some excellent, well built metal ones. I have a Toyo 45AII and I have found it to be an excellent one; it has even survived being dumped into the ocean on one occasion.
    Robert,
    Are you familiar with their 45CF? It's a lightweight ( I believe 3 1/2 lbs) carbon fiber version: http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45CF/45CF.html

It's relatively inexpensive, too. I wonder if anyone out there has one.
    Steven Nestler
    http://stevennestler.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SLNestler
    Robert,
    Are you familiar with their 45CF? It's a lightweight ( I believe 3 1/2 lbs) carbon fiber version: http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45CF/45CF.html

It's relatively inexpensive, too. I wonder if anyone out there has one.
    The 45CF lacks rear movements. Make sure you can live without those if you consider this camera.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Remember, the is no substitute for long bellows, close work or long lenses. The 12/14 in bellows cameras are limited. This leaves the Zone iv and Wisner, maybe others.

I am happy with my Zone 6 and accy bag bellows. $500 is is not.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    The 45CF lacks rear movements. Make sure you can live without those if you consider this camera.
    The CF is limited in a number of other ways as well. Here is a link to the CF's data sheet: http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45CF/45CF.html
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin