Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,292   Online: 920

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which 210mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

Thanks for the quick responses. I don't have a preference for size/weight, or coverage as I don't anticipate doing too many movements. I'd like a lens with a good contrast/sharpness. Seems like the Schneiders are getting the most votes so far, I'm definitely considering Dan's offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Nikonand it is excellenteven wide open
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    203mm Ektar
    200mm Nikkor-M
    210mm G-Claron
    210mm Graphic-Kowa
    ... and a hundred others

Shooter
    Large Format
    Any of the modern lenses from Rodenstock, Nikon, Fuji, Schneider and Caltar in Copal shutters will have a similar look and sharpness. The latest Rodenstock Sironar S lenses are said by some to be the absolute sharpest but they are expensive. I like the look of the Ektars for portraits. They are sharp but not clinically sharp and not expensive. Of course others prefer Dagor's, Heliars and so on.

Sometimes it's good to own a couple lenses at a favorite focal length for different looks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the nice thing about LF. You have the choice of 19th, 20th, or 21st Century optics!
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a symmar s that's multicoated, great lens but pretty big using huge 77mm I think filters which are pricey. I think the calumet caltar rebadged lenses are also a really good deal too especially the later multicoated models. They just have a bit more contrast or pop to them vs when I shoot with any of my older uncoated vintage lenses. The symmar is really common and so are caltars so make sure you get a good model with a nice working shutter, etc. I would not worry about schneideritis as it hasn't affected my images in any perceivable way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards a schneider, the caltar-n seems very tempting but its average cost is $50-75 more than the schneider from what I've seen. Anyone have input in the japanese ones, topcon, nikkor, fuji? Seems they're quite commonly found for sale from japan and at a very attractive price too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the Topcon lenses spec-ed to cover 4x5 are the "Super Topcor". The others only cover 6x9cm. But I can't remember...

It's hard to go "wrong" with any modern lens spec-ed for 4x5.

You have the same disease as I have... wanting million-dollar perfection on a ten-cent budget.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Nikkor-W 210mm, and it's an excellent lens. Since you mention Topcon lenses, I also have a Topcor 150mm lens (intended for 4x5) which also is very good. Both lenses bought from Japan (via eBay). I've only had very positive experiences when buying from Japan. Prices are are good, especially when it comes to Nikon and Fuji lenses, and shipping costs are very reasonable too.

Trond

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see a lot of "excellent" rated 210mm (from brands that have already been stated above) that are going sub-$200 online lately.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin