Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,698   Online: 1177

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which 210mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Which 210mm?

Hey All,

I'm looking to get a 210mm lens in the 200-250 range and it seems there's a few choices. Fuji, Nikon, Schneider and Calumet Caltar-II which I'm told could be made by either Rodenstock or Schneider. Of these brands which would you guys suggest or if there is not obvious front runner than they're all pretty good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 210mm Symmar-S that's a damn good lens, and I'm not using it. I've used it for color and b/w shooting, no sweat.
    Yours for $225 shipped to you in Canada.

I can supply pictures if you want to see it. PM me if you're interested
    cheers,
    Dan

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    A Fujinon CM-W 210mm is an amazing lens that is easily available in near mint condition for under $200. Absolutely brilliant lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's important to you? Size/weight... speed... contrast... sharpness... coverage... cost... new/used... modern shutter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I know (from what I've read, although I've never seen anything definitive), the Caltar II N series are Rodenstock Apo Sironar N and Grandagon N, the Caltar S are Schneider Symmar-S. I just went a-googling and there are links to a definitive-looking page that no longer exists...
    One thing you may want to consider is if you'd ever move up to 5x7 or 8x10. All should cover 5x7, but there are only a few 210s that cover 8x10, not all of them do.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 210 f5.6 Symmar S is a superb lens I bought mine off one of the Moderators, Dan's price shipped is very fair.

I also use a 203mm f7.7 Ektar, this is a very much smaller lens in a #0 Prontor SVS shutter and great for my light weight field kit alongside a 90mm Angulopn, it's also a superb lens for close up work.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    203mm f/7.7 Ektars have been my preferred lenses for decades for the reasons given by Ian. Newer lenses may have multicoating and other technical advances that critical photographers might demand. However, good enough is good enough, and the Ektar has always been good enough for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Schneider 210 f5.6 APO-Symmar. Might be my best LF lens I own, if not my most used.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    203mm f/7.7 Ektars have been my preferred lenses for decades for the reasons given by Ian. Newer lenses may have multicoating and other technical advances that critical photographers might demand. However, good enough is good enough, and the Ektar has always been good enough for me.
    Jim, the coatings on my 203mm Ektar are superb, not far short of being Multi-coated, however the coatings did improve compared to the first ones in Epsilon shutters. The UK made versions are fully #0 compatible (Mount 370).

Another small 210mm is the f6.3 Congo, this is a Tessar design & covers 7x5, I have a pair of cells waiting for a shutter. There's also the 210mm f6.3 Geronar a Multi-coated triplet, again light and good for backpacking, that went in the spare #1 shutter first, at f22 it's as good as the Symmar S.

If you don't mind uncoated lenses the 21cm f4.5 Tessar is another good lens I've recently acquired one for £30 ($48) in a working Compoud #3, made in 1919.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since we're talking about small lightweight lenses, let's not forget about the 200mm Nikkor-M. It's a modern Tessar and multi-coated. They're a bit rare though.

That stated... we still don't know what features are important to the OP.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 07-27-2014 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin