Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,836   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

100-135mm Soft-Focus Lenses to "Barely" Cover 6x12cm??

I recently got the bug to buy some soft-focus lenses for 6x12cm. These will mostly be for landscape use. I bought 180mm and 250mm Fujinon SF lenses. The 250mm is here and is in quite nice condition... hoping for the same with the 180mm. I would have bought 200/300 Imagons but I can't spend that kind of money right now.

I'm looking for a shorter focal length, ideally in 120-130mm but don't know much about what's available in SF lenses. I want a post WWII coated lens in shutter.

I have on-hand a 105mm f/3.7 Ektar which will almost fill that need but, from what I've read, the far edges will be very blurry unless I crop to 6x9cm. Chris Perez' tests indicate it will "cover" 4x5" and is actually usable up to a 4.5" image diameter with definite loss of fidelity at the edges at f/5.6. At 4.9" the far edges on 6x12cm would be very soft... just something to keep in mind when composing. I'd prefer a slightly longer lens than 105mm anyway but it'll fill a void if I can't find a slightly longer lens to replace it.

Any suggestions for affordable coated post WWII soft focus lenses in 120-135mm FL... in shutter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I have on-hand a 105mm f/3.7 Ektar which will almost fill that need but, from what I've read, the far edges will be very blurry unless I crop to 6x9cm. Chris Perez' tests indicate it will "cover" 4x5" and is actually usable up to a 4.5" image diameter with definite loss of fidelity at the edges at f/5.6. At 4.9" the far edges on 6x12cm would be very soft... just something to keep in mind when composing.
    Ask Chris what he and Kerry did. I b'lieve that he shot a 105/3.7 Ektar on 4x5 film, measured resolution in a 2.25" x 3.25" rectangle centered in the negative. I've had two 105/3.7s, still have one. Both barely covered 2x3 and were less sharp than a 101/4.5 Ektar everywhere in the frame from f/4.5 down to f/22. This is consistent with Eric Beltrando's calculated performance.

Why do you want a lens that "barely covers" 6x12?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Dan...

It's not that I want the lens to barely cover 6x12cm... my poor choice of verbiage. I gave that qualifier because every SF lens I've heard of has a fairly narrow image circle relative to its focal length but as with many lens designs will usually "illuminate" more than spec'ed albeit with degraded performance at the corners. Since the diagonal of 56x112mm is 125mm then a typical 100-105mm SF lens will probably "barely illuminate" to the corners. As usual, my attempt to keep things simple over-complicated instead.

RE the 105 Ektar: I do realize it's not a SF lens but rather has just a touch of CA at or near wide open. I've read many posts about this lens and realize it's not optimal given my "true" criteria... to comfortably cover 6x12cm. I'm just delaying sale of it until I can determine if it's the best option I've got. I think a 120mm Imagon was available in shutter but I doubt I'll find one anytime soon and it's likely to cost far more than I can afford.

I'm looking for other options in the "approx" 120-130mm FL... coated and in shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I can't speak about shuttered lenses, but I do own 120mm and 150mm Rodenstock Imagons in barrel mounts.
    Pleasant soft focus, and probably adaptable to a shutter easily. Not sure if they would cover 6x12, though.

Probably worth investigating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
    Well I can't speak about shuttered lenses, but I do own 120mm and 150mm Rodenstock Imagons in barrel mounts.
    Pleasant soft focus, and probably adaptable to a shutter easily. Not sure if they would cover 6x12, though.

Probably worth investigating.
    Thank you, Nokton48. You may be right about adapting a 120 Imagon to shutter. It might even screw right in but I can't remember what I've read about that. Even so, I've been looking and those in Leica mounts with unmarked glass are listed for over $1300. That's far more than I can afford at the moment. I haven't seen any in barrel lately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah they tend to be pricey. As I remember I paid about $350 for my barrel Imagon 120mm on German Ebay. Full set brand new.

I just bought a 200mm barrel Imagon for $200 over there. Keep an eye out and you might find one with a weird mount on it

My 200mm was for the Mamiya RB-67 with a Zoerk Adapter on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, thanks. I opened a German eBay search page.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just picked up a 300mm Imagon in barrel (German Ebay) for the equivalent of about $400US.
    Also included is a 120x120 Plaubel Board that I would value at about $50. So that's about $300
    plus shipping for the lens alone. Actually not too bad IMO.

It's possible to find some deals but you must have a lot of patience.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^^ Thank you... added to my watch list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin