Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help --- Stuck Retaining Rings

What do you folks do to loosen very stuck retaining rings? I have a good spanner wrench but sometimes I must give up trying to loosen the terribly stubborn ones. The one giving me problems now is one of those ultra-thin Copal #00 rings with very tiny slots. I've already marred the back of the lens board and the ring. Things like this frustrate the heck out of me. I do stop before I get really ticked off and mess up the lens... learned that the hard way long ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a small flexible strap wrench that is often my last resort, depending on the geometry of the stuck item...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I have a small flexible strap wrench that is often my last resort, depending on the geometry of the stuck item...

Ken
    You use the strap around the shutter body? I'm afraid I'll break something. Also, I don't know if there's an anti-rotation pin installed. This is an older lens... 135mm Repro-Claron in Synchro-Compur. Sorry I didn't mention that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll carefully use it around pretty much anything. "Carefully" meaning, only a common sense amount of torque for whatever I'm trying to loosen, since it's really easy to go overboard with a strap. If the geometry means I can get a solid wrap without damaging anything, I'll gently try it. If it still won't give with reasonable force, then I abandon the attempt as the last chance end of the line.

Straps are designed to symmetrically distribute the gripping friction around a circumference, so less, not more, chance of damaging the item. Think of asymmetric alternatives like pliers or vice grips. Or spanner wrenches. Set pins are another story entirely...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've tried turning the shutter with my bare hands and it won't budge. Of course a strap will provide far more leverage. I'm afraid I'll break something. I may just Dremel the ring off. That's tricky too though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe with the rear cell off try a rubber sheet and use something that's roughly the same diameter of the ring, lots of pressure while turning. I've scratched and gouged a few rings and boards myself with tight lenses. You don't need to tighten that much, I'd rather use that set screw to keep lenses in position.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Maybe with the rear cell off try a rubber sheet and use something that's roughly the same diameter of the ring, lots of pressure while turning. I've scratched and gouged a few rings and boards myself with tight lenses. You don't need to tighten that much, I'd rather use that set screw to keep lenses in position.
    I think this lens was mounted by Linhof. It's mounted on a mini Linhof Technika board and came in a Schneider box sized to the board. I do hate to mar the board but I need the lens on a 4x5 Technika board. I never tighten lenses this much even without the anti-rotation set screw.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    use a rubber band around the circumference.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    If you can, grip the spanner with a large wrench for leverage. Hold the lensboard in a vise.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heat. I place stuck stuff on my print dryer. Then I use rubber dishwashing gloves for both insulation and grip to unscrew stuff. For just about anything with threads, when it expands the threads loosen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin