Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 698

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Neutral Density Filter with B&W?

How many of you use a neutral density filter with B&W?
    ~~~~~~
    Background: Gotten so frustrated in trying different development procedures in shooting Arista EDU 400 @ 200 (aka Foma) with a Pacemaker 4x5, in trying to 'control' this high contrasty films 'burnout' of sky, that I have actually quit shooting for a while. Love the film.. but... .. so suddenly got a thought of using a neutral density filter for the sky, and wondered if any use it for B&W.
    Thanks 4 ur replies..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An ND filter just reduces the overall exposure, it's useful to allow a larger aperture than your shutter speeds will support and so on.
    Try a yellow or light orange filter to darken the sky, and/or reduce your exposure - although I must say I have no experience with the film you are using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure, comes in handy sometimes to allow longer shutter times (or smaller apertures) without changing tonal relationships.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't use ND filters just the yellow, orange and red filters.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm

Let me see

Let's see if I got this right -- you are overexposing your film by one stop and are complaining about burnt-out skies. I think you should expose you film at the real ASA for starters. A yellow or red filter might help, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Let's see if I got this right -- you are overexposing your film by one stop and are complaining about burnt-out skies. I think you should expose you film at the real ASA for starters. A yellow or red filter might help, too.
    Velll u got a point dar... when I first started testing, I shot it @ 400, but not since I got the development down I like.
    Hmm will give it a new try.. and while at it... ok.. you guys I will try the yellow and red filters again... but liked the shots without them.. and my 35mm neutral density filter, held up in place fer a test...

Ha... back in the saddle again...
    thanks guys..
    where a friend is a friend...
    (does this date me or what)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sounds like you need to look into graduated neutral density filters (rectangular type). At least that's what would help in this case. I rarely use them with b+w work but they are handy to have in your kit once and a while.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    sounds like you need to look into graduated neutral density filters (rectangular type). At least that's what would help in this case. I rarely use them with b+w work but they are handy to have in your kit once and a while.
    Yeah, the rectangular type are good. I used to use them a lot with color slide film.

I don't know why they make the round ones. They are pretty much useless.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    when I first started testing, I shot it @ 400, but not since I got the development down I like.
    Hmm will give it a new try.
    Then there is always EI320 and EI250 if you don't like EI400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use ND grad filters and Reverse grad filters all the time in the field. I cannot say I've done a lot of B&W shooting to date, mostly all transparency stuff. However, I would not hesitate using any of my filters to help balance the contrast or exposure latitude between light and dark with any film whatsoever.
    I find the Lee wide angle holder setup the best for my needs with a variety of brand name rectangle filters.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin