Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,266   Posts: 1,680,826   Online: 773

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are there resources to learn lens and shutter repair?

I have a small but aging collection of LF lenses that have mechanical shutters. Some of the shutters are getting slow and even some are getting stuck. How easy it it to clean and lube them? Are there resources to learn how to service them? I don't want to take apart a shutter and ending ruining it. Any suggestions? Maybe just send them in? I'm a DIYer, but I don't want to get in over my head. Thanks in advance!
    “We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.
    We are monkeys with money and guns.”

― Tom Waits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I have a small but aging collection of LF lenses that have mechanical shutters. Some of the shutters are getting slow and even some are getting stuck. How easy it it to clean and lube them? Are there resources to learn how to service them? I don't want to take apart a shutter and ending ruining it. Any suggestions? Maybe just send them in? I'm a DIYer, but I don't want to get in over my head. Thanks in advance!
    I don't know where to point you, I wish I did.
    One caveat - there is an infinite number of ways to ruin something. Many of these ways are covered by yootoob 'tutorials'. There are also some very good tutorials, but the novice can't distinguish until too late. That pretty much goes for everything else on the internet too.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I'm no expert nor do I play one on TV, but here are some tips I've picked up since starting to fix my own gear. Student budget + GAS = must learn to DIY and not send it out for repair/CLA.

Start with something broken, see if you can make it work or at least get it as close to working as you can. Maybe the condition of the parts in the assembly won't allow full working condition but at least you'll have gone through the diagnostic work and gained experience.

For lenses: start with the simple ones: cheap common primes. Some of the Soviet pieces are assembled in an intuitive manner so they can be a good start. First one I cleaned out and relubed was a Fed 3b and Industar 61.

Good tools (proper lens spanner, for one) helps greatly and patience. It doesn't all need to go back together *tonight* and you can always open it back up.

Taking care with order of assembly: quick digital shots to help remember orientation etc can be a big help, or sketches if you don't have a digicam handy.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive hour."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Learn on shutters you don't mind destroying. It happens. Fix your best shutters after becoming skilled. Seek factory repair manuals as primary source of knowledge. Realize that lubes spec'd in the old days may not exist but modern substitutes may even be better - if applied correctly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And whatever you do, don't get impatient!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas Tomosoy has a couple of books out. Repairing Classic Cameras give a basic how-to on leaf shutters.
    "Leica Camera Repair" is another. That one's more helpful with LTM's than M's.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What make of shutters do you have? Some shutter repair manuals give step by step instructions while others do not, some are simple while others are complex, some are stamped parts while others are machined parts.
    Where are you located, Mars or one of its moons, Jupiter, or Saturn?
    How good are your skills with very small screws, size 00 to 1 x 1/8 inch long?
    Get a good set of Jewlers screwdrivers, sample: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-66-039...s+screwdrivers
    and a good pair of 1/16 inch wide blunt nose tweezers 6 to 8 inches long. A magnifing swing arm lamp helps also.
    Use a digital P&S with macro mode or a SLR with close up lens and take pictures of the shutter as you remove each part verifying that the part(s) are shown clearly in their correct position.
    Shutter and aperture blades are .015 to .02 inch thick, usually blued steel, and bend very easily. They must be removed and cleaned. I use to coat them with a thin coat of extra fine powdered graphite but used dry film teflon on a recent CLA and the shutters ran faster than with graphite which is a good thing with weaking old springs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I mostly have Copal shutters

Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    What make of shutters do you have?
    I have Copals #0-3, but I have an old Prontor that I'd like to fix. Any online manuals available?

Thanks for all the great responses!
    “We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.
    We are monkeys with money and guns.”

― Tom Waits

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some pages I have Bookmarked:

http://www.buonaluce.com/Anatomy.pdf

http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?...267abd5bc529af

http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/repair.html

There may be links from those pages to other sites of interest. You might try searching on Flickr for specific shutter names just in case someone has posted photos of a tear down.

Len

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Search engine "google"; search term "prontor shutter repair manual"; useful results:
    http://benoit.suaudeau.perso.neuf.fr...am_prontor.pdf
    http://phasmatisapparatus.blogspot.c...ce-manual.html
    Where you are located will affect your search results.

I've only had the top cover off 1 Copal #2, it looked simple enough that I would not need a manual but starting out they would be difficult.
    Last edited by shutterfinger; 04-03-2015 at 10:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin