Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,717   Posts: 1,669,939   Online: 1017

Thread: Shutter stuck ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shutter stuck ?

Hello everyone,

I got a Schneider Symmar-S 6.8/360 (Copal No.3). The lens is in great shape, but the shutter doesn't work at speeds between 1/4 - B. It gets stuck. At T position it opens and closes as it should, and it works fine from 1/8 sec. - 1/125. Any suggestion on what could be wrong or even better, how to fix it, will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter
    Contingit stercore

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It needs a CLA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks ! And CLA means ... ?
    Contingit stercore

Shooter
    35mm
    It needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CLA means clean lubricate and adjust (an ugly phrase for "repair"). It sounds as if the lubricants in your shutter have failed, and the mechanism has become sticky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    O.K. Thanks for the feedback. You are right ! CLA sounds less dramatic than repair. I'll look for a phototechnician on my next trip. What are these shutters lubricated with ? Some graphite/synthetic oil mixtures ? Just wondering if warming the lens up could help ? I took my camera up to 4,000 meter and had this lens in the back seat of the car. And it was cold ...
    Contingit stercore

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer the term "overhaul"; the shutter probably needs one no matter what it is called.

You can research all sorts of overhaul cheats but if you value accuracy or reliability you might want to invest in the services of a professional.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    C-clean, as in full disassembly and each part cleaned.
    L-lubricate also called lube- apply a trace amount of oil or grease at manufacturer required points. Some special lubricants required.
    A- adjust. the time delay mechanism is usually adjusted for correct 1 second time and some shutters are adjustable for the 1/15 or 1/30 speeds as well.

Lubricants become hard when cold. The temperatures at high altitude are beyond the range the lubricants are designed to operate in. If the shutter starts operating normally in -23°C or warmer then it will need to be serviced using lubricants that are designed to work in extreme low temperatures so that it can be used at high altitudes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the information. I'll take the lens to a qualified technician next time I'll travel. Fortunately I have another lens that allows me to chase good light close to home while I get the other one fixed.
    Contingit stercore

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, the only lubes you should use are a very fine oil like watch oil.
    This goes on pivots, both on levers and the pivots on the delay mechanism.

A light grease on surfaces that slide. NOTHING on the blades or the blade housing*.

*some people do recommend graphite on them.
    Expletive Deleted!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin