Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,891   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens fungus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been told that if a lens has fungus and is placed in a dry sunny place for a few days the fungus dissapears or is that an old wives tale?

I think the theory is that the uv kills the fungus?????

If this is a load of rubbish please be gentle with me!!!!

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the fungus has already etched the glass (which, by the time you notice it, it usually has), then you can kill and/or remove the fungus, but there is nothing that can be done about the damaged glass.
    This is the sad voice of experience speaking.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    UV will kill the fungus spores so it won't continue to grow, but it won't magically clean up what's already there. I've been wondering if a full-spectrum fluorescent bulb gives off the right UV wavelengths to kill it. Would periodic flooding under UV lamps be a good preventative measure?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is one of the best monographs on lens fungus that I have read. It has no references though. The writer is Gordon Ian Stalker BSc, who I believe is a camera technician rather than a mycologist.
    http://www.mypentax.com/Fungus.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin