Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,099   Online: 879

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    I use a Manfrotto 468RC (Bogen code: 3435QR). I have had it for a number of years and don't recall what I paid for it.
    Just bought one (new) last week. $86 CDN. Holds a max wieght of 6kg (or 13 lbs).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    Just bought one (new) last week. $86 CDN. Holds a max wieght of 6kg (or 13 lbs).
    Do you like it?

Images
    I really, really do not like my Ball head with my LF equipment, too awkward, and a PIA to maneuver(sp) and level with the cameras. The only reason I would use one again with my LF cameras is if I could afford a geared one. Which ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use Uniloc's biggest ballhead, and haven't felt the need to look for another head. It easily handles everything from the 0.6kg VAG 6.5x9cm to the 7kg Technika 5x7" and the slightly lighter 18x24cm plate camera.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm... maybe I just need stop being a weenie and keep using my 3047. Like I said, I like it except for it's bulk.

Say, I'm curious about something... what happens (aside from falling off) when you put heavier than specified equipment on a head? Do they shake/vibrate? I wonder because I read some the specs for heads and they say the will handle 25+ pounds... Who carries a camera that weighs 25 pounds?

Thanks for the input everyone

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Say, I'm curious about something... what happens (aside from falling off) when you put heavier than specified equipment on a head? Do they shake/vibrate? I wonder because I read some the specs for heads and they say the will handle 25+ pounds... Who carries a camera that weighs 25 pounds?
    They don't necessarily shake, they just sag.

I have a tripod that's great for TF (35mm), useless for MF SLR, and fair for LF. That's where vibrations come into it.

My Linhof weighed 7kg, the 300mm Xenar another kg. 8kg is about 16 pounds. I wouldn't care to carry something heavier than that, but I recently saw a 500kg 30x40" repro camera on that auction site
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had a Bogen 488 with the hex plate system and it work great for the Shen-Hao and it was light. I sold it because I need to go to an Arca-Swiss style clamp system when I added the Mamiya7 so I got an Acra-Tech which is also very nice (but out of your price range from the sounds of it). The Bogen 488 held just as well, but it does weigh more. I would get another, but without the quick release sytem and add a Kirk clamp. Should cost you about $150 with one plate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ellen,

Check out the FLM ballheads at B&H. Nye and Jerry are both presently using the 38mm head for 4x5 and "spy camera" respectively. Nye said it's rated to hold 20 lbs and the model they have will lock side-to-side while allowing a fore-aft tilt (I think I have that right).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=288445&is=REG

Currently, I'm using the Acratech ballhead because it's light and will hold the 8x10 too. It's a bit pricier but seems very well made. I haven't tipped that 8x10 over too much yet, but it's rated to hold 25 lbs at any angle and the camera's only 10.

http://acratech.net/ultimate_ballhead.html

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Do you like it?
    Takes a little getting used to. I had a cheapo light weight tripod with built in panhead(?). Couldn't handle the weight. The head would sag and I could watch the legs bend.
    The 468RC has no problem even with the 250mm on my Mamiya RB67. The biggest drawback (already mentioned) is the leveling. Also if you have a front (or back) heavy camera, loosening the ball too quickly could cause adernaline surges. I almost s**t myself the first time my camera took a nose dive when I wasn't holding it right when loosening the ball. Luckily the tripod (Manfrotto 055CL) didn't budge and no damage except to my nerves.
    Took my a bit to find a head I liked as most were too $$$! or couldn't handle the weight. The 468RC is the best compromise I could find in the stores around my area.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have an Acratech ballhead. When tightened down, it holds my Arca 4x5 with no slip at all. I can even hike around with the tripod and camera over my shoulder and not worry about slippage. It is a great, lightweight ballhead at a reasonable price. Call the factory and ask if they have any seconds available. I got mine that way, a few bucks off and heck if I can find the defect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin