Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,152   Online: 991

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A ballhead that won't break the bank

Hi all! I am currently using a Bogen 3047 head with my Horseman LE and it's great but rather bulky. Since I am adding a Shen-Hao to my arsenal, I would like to get a ball head that I can mount on my 'traveling' pod that I can also get QR plates to use with my Mamiya 330f and my Canon 20D. Again, the Horseman will stay on the Bogen so I don't need a ballhead to handle it, just the other three cameras.

So I'd love to hear what you folks are successfully using; maybe even pros and cons (as I've never used a ballhead before).

p.s. Money is an issue so don't tell me how much you love your $300+ ArcaSwiss (or whatever) 'cause that ain't gonna happen and I'll only be jealous

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a ballhead that I got from Canon with my field camera, it was around $100.00 has a good holding system and seems to be quite steady, it was not a QR model, so I added a QR mount that I picked up on Ebay for about $25.00 that works with the standard arca sized QR plates, the ball is about 1.5 inches in diameter and it is made out of magnisium, so not overly heavy.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a Manfrotto 468RC (Bogen code: 3435QR). I have had it for a number of years and don't recall what I paid for it.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why a ballhead if you've never used one before? I much prefer a pan-tilt head with my LF camera. You may want to look into one of the low profile pan-tilt heads which are much smaller than the admittedly large 3047 (which I have). Another option would be to buy a new tripod from Berlebach which has a built-in tilt head, this option is, I believe, cheaper than buying the Arca-Swiss.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree with Jeremy. It can be very tricky to level the camera with a ballhead. Try one to be sure that it won't just cause frustration. Those expensive double ball heads offer more control--more like a pan-tilt head--which is why they are expensive.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard good thing from dynatran tripods and ball heads though i have never used any.....

Anybody has risked their money on their products?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I read Ellen's original post correctly, she's looking for a ballhead for everything else not for her LF.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never really like ballheads until I bought an older heavy duty Linhof ball head which I mounted on some 3021 sticks (I use it with the RC0 QR adapter). That head made me a ball head convert! I also use an older Manfrotto Pro Ball model 168 (the one that uses the hex shaped QR plates) on a set of 3001 sticks, but only for 35mm and some 6X6. My third head is a 3047 3-way head which stays on my 3036 sticks. I considered putting a "real" head on my Berlebach 2042 wood tripod, but the built-in leveling ball woks so well, I just haven't bothered.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can only agree with the 3047, Bogen/Manfrotto did have a ball head that worked with the same QR mounts (sorry, don't recall the model) and they had one that was rather tall, but had a grip of sorts that made positioning easier.

One question, understand the Horseman will stay on the 3047, and the Mamiya and Canon will be on the 'new' head, but what do you plan to mount the Shen-Hao on?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Can only agree with the 3047, Bogen/Manfrotto did have a ball head that worked with the same QR mounts (sorry, don't recall the model) and they had one that was rather tall, but had a grip of sorts that made positioning easier.

One question, understand the Horseman will stay on the 3047, and the Mamiya and Canon will be on the 'new' head, but what do you plan to mount the Shen-Hao on?
    That rather tall, grip action Bogen is a dream! I know because I use one with my 20D and my 330f. So I guess technically, I lied about never having used a ballhead - I should have specified 'traditional' ballhead. Anyway, I love the grip action job but I don't believe it'll stand the weight of the Shen-Hao. Hence my question - I want one that will easily handle all three cameras. Bogen makes a horizontal version but I wonder how that will do with the bed of the Shen-Hao?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin