Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,764   Online: 930

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Litmann

Shooter
    Large Format

Litmann

I need some infos about Litmann 4x5 cameras. Would you please help me posting your impressions? Is it possible to have some picture of the camera itself? Here in Europe is impossible to find and to have a close encounter, so I would like to have as much informations (words and images) as possible.
    Merci
    Rubin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no personal experience with the Littmann conversions, Rubin, but I recall seeing considerable discussion on some of the photo forums. If you search on "Littmann 45" you may find more info.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you Ralph, I already did it but the threads were written some months ago then some members of our forum own a Litmann since quite a long time and I would be very pleased if they want to share their impressions after having used this camera for more than a couple of months... and I would appreciate also comment about the feeling of handling it, is it light? Do you feel is well built? And so on.
    Thank you
    Rubin

Their web site is www.littman45single.com

I have had one for about a year but have not used it as much as I would like. It is a very well made conversion of a polaroid camera that allows you to use a handheld 4x5 as a rangefinder.

It is fairly light and well built and relatively easy to focus like a smaller rangefinder. They come with a couple of lens options like a 127 and a 150. I have the 150. You cannot change lenses. You can also order the ground glass option and use it like an ordinary 4x5.

I use it with grafmatic backs that allow 6 shots, so what you have is a 6 shot 4x5 portable camera that is easy and fun to use.

It is quite expensive $2500 - 3500 rannge depending on what you order.

It has it detractors who don't like the designer or the price. There are many who say it is better to have a portable linhof or a press camera with interchangeable lenses, but there is really nothing like it on the market and if you can afford it, its a great camera.

I will add that William Littman is a nice man and cares about his customers and will take all the time you need to discuss the camera with you if you contact him. His detractors may disagree but so be it.

There is a new version coming out as well.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you Michael,
    Thank you very much, but does it look like an old camera or the bellow is clean, the plastic of the rangefinder is clean or repainted or whatever...
    You know it is quite expensive and the 110b are very old cameras and I am wondering what about the aestethic of the object.
    Rubin

Actually, you get a lot of people telling you that they had one of those. They wonder what you are doing with and old camera like that. But with any 4x5 you kind of get that reaction.

Granted it is definitely retro but so damn cool and functional. If you're wondering what people may think of you maybe you should shoot a concealed leica. Just kidding.

It is not a fragile camera. If you can afford one and like it, you wouldn't be disappointed. I think they are rentable in NY city if that helps.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rubin are you in France? Next spring (2006) a bunch of us apuggers are going to do what is called OBT (Old Broads Tour). Our first tour takes us to France. I will have a Littman with me. I will gladly let you try it out so you can see up close and personal the camera in your own hands.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Good! Yes, I live in France, I am a new member of the forum so I am happy to have the opportunity to meet people from Apug!Anyway I can't wait until next spring (wait Spring, Bandini...) to decide about Litmann but your words sound encouraging. Michael I was curious to know what kind of "look" has this camera since a saw bunch of bad conversions that looked poor and cheap and worked poor and cheap... I saw his website and they look great! I see he also crops the original back, but it looks much better than the other conversions, where he cut he put something to make it look nicer and safer, in the pictures looks like black rubber or something, while other conversions just leave a sort of open wound.
    Rubin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Rubin,
    Me too I would like to know something about Littmans.
    I have a 110a conversion. Not Littman's.
    Bonjour
    Trent

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow Nathan!
    I remember a big discussion between Apug members and this Australian guy!
    It is better not to start again...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin