Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,709   Online: 909

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can see the masks on the Badger photo. They're relatively thick pieces of metal. My guess is it's a lot easier to design and build the back withe masks on the outside. It would also let somebody build thier own mask if they wanted an unsupported format [6x7 etc] or if they wanted to try and hack the holder some how.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's true. 6x7 would be tricky, because there are no numbers on the film backing corresponding to 6x7. Might as well shoot 6x9 and crop.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'd have to count turns I guess. Not the most usefull feature but possible -)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have the 6x12 back also, the one for the Shen Hao. It works pretty well have to handle it kind of carefully though but am very happy for the price.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    I have to handle it kind of carefully though...
    In what way, just out of curiosity?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    In what way, just out of curiosity?
    When rolling the film to the next frame the first time I used it I had light leak. Now I press the back against the camera while rolling the film or put the dark slide in and problem is solved. As much as I like the Shen Hao it is kind of rinky dink and needs to be handled with kid gloves. I'm used to the horseman camera that is very tight. So have had to adjust my handling to be more sensitive.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeah, I know what you mean (coming from a Horseman myself). Thanks for the info; Maybe it'll save me from ruining some film if I ever wind up with one of those S-H roll film holders.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    When rolling the film to the next frame the first time I used it I had light leak. Now I press the back against the camera while rolling the film or put the dark slide in and problem is solved. As much as I like the Shen Hao it is kind of rinky dink and needs to be handled with kid gloves. I'm used to the horseman camera that is very tight. So have had to adjust my handling to be more sensitive.
    I got my Shen Hao 6x12 back from the View Camera Store. Came with an external 6x9 mask. I have never had any problems with light leaks. I have used it on my Wista and Speed Graphics, it is a really snug fit on both cameras.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I eventually thought sod it and got one of the cheap Chinese (isn't everything now?) backs off E-Bay. It is for 5x4. 6x12 only - not a Shen Hao - it dosn't look that sophisticated!. It it pretty crude and simply made, but as long as the darkslide is not pulled all the way out during exposure it works really well. with no fogging, scratching etc, and as I usually use 5x4 I dont mind the basic-ness of it at all. It is made by GUOHUA and it's simplicity might frighten some!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well an email exchange with Jim at MidWest resulted in the delivery of a 6x12 via FedEx this afternoon. The Chinese must think we're all geniuses because instructions are no where to be found. Yeah, I'm one of those crazy people who read the manuals of every new piece of equipment.

So how do you use the bloody thing? How do you load film? How do you focus on the gg for the 6x12/6x9 format? How do you know what frame you're on? Please help

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin