Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 835

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    These things are pretty simple. They operate just like an old folding camera.

Remove the back. Which side is the wind knob on? That's where the empty spool goes. Probably there is a knob on each side that lifts up to retract a pin that holds the film spool in place. The fresh roll of film goes on the opposite side. The film goes from one side to the other with the black part of the paper backing toward the lens. Thread the film and wind it maybe one turn and replace the back.

How do you know which window to use? One should show numbers from 1-8 for 6x9 and one should show numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 for 6x12 (you're using the numbers for 6x6, but you're going to advance the film to every other frame for 6x12).

How do you focus for medium format on a 4x5" camera? If your groundglass isn't already marked for 6x9 and 6x12, measure the film gate on the rollfilm holder to determine the actual dimensions of the frame and you can mark the frame lines on the groundglass in pencil. Focus normally, but you'll have to remove the groundglass and clip in the rollfilm holder when you're ready to take the picture.

To take the picture, just remove the darkslide and shoot as if you were using a regular filmholder. Replace the darkslide and advance the film after the shot to avoid double exposures.

When you get to the last frame, wind the film all the way and change the roll.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    These things are pretty simple. They operate just like an old folding camera.
    Ya think?! LMAO

But seriously, thanks David I appropriate the tips! Like I said, I'm a big fan of manuals and when I first looked at the 6x12 back... well it just looked foreign. But as usual, I was making things ten times more difficult than necessary.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For the 6x12 (all I use it for) I took a processed rolls paper, took the back off the film back and lined it up as if running film through. marked the paper as if shooting and found that for 6x12 the frames are: 1,3,5,9 and 11. for some reason the #'s are upside down also. Don't know why but it works. As far as the ground glass, mine aligns perfect with the 4 little horizontal F brackets.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I found this new 6x12 back slightly out of line with the ground glass markings - about 2mm left and right. The best thing to do is cut a mask out of some stiffish black plastic - I used a dvd case. With a bit of care, and a sharp knife it's possible to cut it so it pushes into place over the gg with the exact sized hole, so you see what the film will see. Composing with this mask on is brilliant, gets rid of every thing apart from a 6x12 portion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, thanks to David, I got the film loaded without any problems. But now I have a major problem! The freakin' thing doesn't fit! I've tried every which way but it just won't go into the frame - it's just a hair too wide. So, now what do I do? Has anyone else experienced this problem mounting a Shen-Hao roll film holder on a Shen-Hao 4x5?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only thing I had to do with mine was losen the slider screws. I guess since I got it the wood expanded. Have you pulled the sliders out of the way? Only thing I can think of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    The only thing I had to do with mine was losen the slider screws. I guess since I got it the wood expanded. Have you pulled the sliders out of the way? Only thing I can think of.
    Nope, it's not the sliders; They were completely out of the way when I tried to put the back on. The holder is so tight against the wood that it just won't mount and I don't want to force it. Jeez, you'd think a back made for the camera would fit!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And normal cut film holders fit fine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, Ive used a Polaroid holder, various sheet film holders (though some are more snug than others), Fuji Quickload holder... no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only thought is the camera back and the roll film are at opposite ends of the tolerance. I've been trying to find the standard for 4x5 film holder but I can't.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin