Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,895   Online: 973

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Maybe I'm not seeing clearly enough, but when I shoot portraits near to 1:1 (bellows at about 800mm) using a 450M Nikkor with the 11x14 I don't notice the perspective 'distortions' you might expect with a wide angle lens up close. The nose, for example, doesn't seem larger in proportion than normal. I've wondered why this is but don't have a clear answer.

One thing I did learn was to focus on the tip of the nose rather than the eyes. Given the short DOF if I focus on the eyes the tip of the nose is then out of focus. If I focus on the nose the greater DOF behind the focussed upon area catches the eyes too.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    David, with a 450mm lens and 800mm extension the face-lens distance will be about 1030mm - far enough to avoid the "bignose effect". One meter is a reasonable distance to see other people from - it's when you get closer than that, that it looks "wrong".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by TracyStorer
    Oh, and by the way HI CLAYTON! Good to see you posting here and there!
    Best, Tracy
    Tracy

good to see you've found your way here too!

I always enjoy reading your posts, I like the tech spin you put on them that only comes from experience.

cheers
    Clayton

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

11x14

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Maybe I'm not seeing clearly enough, but when I shoot portraits near to 1:1 (bellows at about 800mm) using a 450M Nikkor with the 11x14 I don't notice the perspective 'distortions' you might expect with a wide angle lens up close. The nose, for example, doesn't seem larger in proportion than normal. I've wondered why this is but don't have a clear answer.
    David

I'm curious to know how many 11x14 and larger shooters there are in Oz?

Over here in NZ there are very very few.

Clayton

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ole,

As always, very informative.....thanks

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Ole]The perspective (not parallax) is determined by the position of the lens relative to the subject. The DoF is determined by the magnification ratio.

Ole's right, it is the perspective that is responsible for that "big nose" effect.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    1. Tracey do you have any info on number of Wisner 14 x 17 in existence?

2. How many 14 x 17 shooters are out there? The first international 14 x 17 convention is in the planning stage.

Dave in Vegas

we could I guess invite the 11 x 14 point and shoot guys

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Dave Wooten]
    1. Tracey do you have any info on number of Wisner 14 x 17 in existence?

Ron has made at least 5, and I know he made at least one 1620>1417 reducing back. He has probably made a couple more cameras and reducers that I don't know about. I started talking to him about 14x17 in '98 at Photo West. (talking about, not ordering)

2. How many 14 x 17 shooters are out there? The first international 14 x 17 convention is in the planning stage.

I've seen a Phillips 14x17, Lotus makes one, and of course there are vintage ones out there as well. I got interested in the format back when I was doing pinhole and could get 14x17 XRay film cheap, and found a couple antique 1417 plate holders I planned to convert.(shot some of the film in cardboard box cameras, never converted the plate holders)

Kerik shoots 14x17, Patrick Alt does too. (I'll ask John at Bergger how many different 14x17 people he ships to)

Tracy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Dave,

Let's just say you won't have to book a very large venue!

Kerik

ps Hey Tracy! Good to see you here.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    good point Kerik,

maybe we can all fit in the Jeep

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin