Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,463   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Busch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My New Busch

Looks like the seller has agreed to sell me his De Golden Busch 8x10 for only $500. Well, twist my arm...

I will probably flip it, but I am tempted to shoot with it first because it has been so long since I used an 8x10 for fun. I've rounded up some holders, film, have a line on a usable lens and am just going to borrow a Majestic for a week or two. And I'll try to work through a ten sheet box. If I get anything I love I'll keep it - otherwise I'll eBay it.

Only thing I need is a lensboard. Having never seen a De Golden Busch in the flesh, does anyone know what size lensboard it uses? (and if I can easily knock one out of plywood or if I have to rekindle my woodworking skills as well?) thanks - Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Going to try C41 and color contact prints first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds more like it. There was a thread running around somewhere of someone wanting to trade one of those against a Leica M6 and 50 or 35mm Summicron... I still have my M6, but an 8x10 is tempting! Have fun and show us the results!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd gladly trade it for a Leica in a heartbeat! I have kids. The Leica would get used 100x more often...

(I'd claim to have made that post but the mods would ban me again)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was that you?! A bit apples and oranges don't you think? 35mm rangefinder versus 8x10" monolith... I loaded all my film holders for my 4x5" this weekend, determined to get out and shoot. Drove around, and found nothing worth setting up for. I need to shoot more 4x5 before even considering a step up. But I can proudly say I have taken portraits of my 2 year old with the Sinar! Burn some 8x10 on the kids, I say.
    However, I did also have my Leica with me, and even she didn't get any use this weekend... one of those outings where nothing comes together.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More power to you. I just look at Nick Nixon's 8x10 photos of kids in awe.

Also, it helps to be a college professor and get grant money to buy film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you can find something on his website: http://www.superlarge.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    How gorgeous are those golden De Busch cameras? *sigh*
    I need a real job, or I need to win the lottery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting, this camera is on eBay again. I am wondering if this isn't the only camera that Busch made and it is listed on eBay every few months just for good measure! Makes me wonder what might be wrong with it.

Here is a link to the auction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember that I bought it cheap and sold it for abit more, but the shipping cost killed me so I lost $ in the end. I also lost an afternoon tightening it up and replacing screws, and I think the new owner did more work on it. I learned my eBay lesson!

It is a beast - you need a maximum Majestic, Gitzo 5-series, or a honking surveyor's tripod. All the brass and whatnot is almost nautical, except it won't float ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin