Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 761

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Damaged Super Symmar

I need a shoulder to cry on! I was out photographing this morning when a guy on a bicycle who was going too fast ran into my tripod and knocked it over. My Sinar Norma didn't fare too badly, but the 110mm Super Symmar took the brunt of the fall. The front rim is badly dented and the glass is scratched. Does this sound repairable, or is it going to be a new lens? I will call my insurance agent tomorrow, I'm sure this will be covered by my policy, so it could be worse. This of course is my most used lens and I will miss it while this mess is being resolved.

BTW, the man on the bike stopped and even called the police who filled out a report, but could not assign blame so I am on my own with the damage. Thanks, I feel better now.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why could they not assign blame? I am pretty much of the understanding that if a vehicle, which includes a bicycle, runs into stationary object, the operator of the vehicle is at fault. (I am a former insurance agent, so don't take my opinion too seriously )

I would suggest that you try to get the bicyclist to make a claim for the damage on their homeowner's insurance under their liability coverage. I would not be surprised, in fact I would almost be sure, that the damage will be covered there rather than your own insurance. Of course, your insurance company will likely figure this out as well and file a subrugation claim against the other company after paying you.

Good luck,

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sniff, sniff. Sorry to hear of your loss, Richard. While you might explore repair options with Schneider, I suspect the most logical path is replacement.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Around 1970, Hasselblad introduced their gigantic 40mm wide-angle lens. Everyone was absolutely salivating just to get a look at one.

On a job interview with the great Hollywood advertising photographer, Peter James Samerjian, I was excited to see that he had one of the first such lenses in the country, sitting on his desk.

I almost passed out when he casually put out his cigarette on the face of this lens!

Seeing my reaction, he explained that his assistant had dropped the lens, which somehow rendered it unusable. So rather than discarding it, he had decided that it would make a dandy ashtray for his desk.

The man had style.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard,

Sorry to hear about this. Maybe you can rent something to use if the replacement paperwork takes a long time. You have to keep the good work going. See you next time.

Chuck Pere

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you have homeowners insurance I would give them a call. When I got my policy I specifically asked about damage or theft of my camera equipment.

Good Luck,

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I spoke to my insurance company today and all is well. They will be paying for a new lens. My homeowners policy is for replacement value, so I will be getting a new lens and can put this unfortunate incident behind me. Thanks to everyone for their sympathy and good suggestions.

Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ever the bottom feeder, what are you going to do with the damaged lens? Do you have to send it to the insurance company, or can you sell it?

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mike is right, if it is a super symmar XL it is still worth a pretty penny even with the bent filter ring and scratches in the glass. Scratches in the front element are not too much of a big deal, they can be filled with a black sharpie and they are almost as good as new. The bent ring can be straighten out by someone like SK grimes. Once again as I said if it is the XL version, I think the lesn is still worth anything from $300 to $500.....if you dont have to retun it to the insurance co, you might think about selling it.

Of course, for your new lens a nice Heliopan or B+W UV filter is recommended.. (BTW all of mine have them)

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Ever the bottom feeder, what are you going to do with the damaged lens? Do you have to send it to the insurance company, or can you sell it?
    Insurance companies, ever alert to both fraud and loss reduction, will *always* take physically present items they pay to replace, except total-loss vehicles (they usually give you a choice on those, with a small dollar difference in the settlement depending on your preference). The same is true for items recovered by police after a theft settlement has been made -- the item is the property of the insurer after they have paid off.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin