Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,347   Online: 780

Shooter
    Large Format

Holder Storage - dark slides in or out?

I was recently advised that I should be storing my empty film holders with the dark slides removed. The rational being that leaving the dark slides in compresses the "flocking" (?) in the slot which, eventually allows the dark to escape when the dark slide is removed.

While this sounds like perfectly reasonable advice, I wonder whether there is really any need to do this - from a practical point of view. So, I guess my questions are:

1) Do you store your film holders with dark slides in or removed? and...

2) does anybody have any evidence to support the claim that storing holders with dark slides in place leads to light leaks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always stored with them in. Have bought many used ones (both wood and plastic) which seem to all have been stored in. I have heard, and it seems to make sense to me, that if they are stored in more humid environs that you should at at least do a partial pull out to allow air-flow and prevent growth. fwiw -Brad

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you leave the slides out what keeps the dust out?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've had the same six holders, Lisco Regal II's and Fidelity Elite's, for over 20 years with the darkslides always fully in. No problems. (I do however keep my focusing cloth over the camera and the holder while taking a photograph, and shade the holder while taking it from the camera bag).

Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've never heard of anyone removing the darkslides for storage. It sounds like an invitation for dust to get into the holders.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I've always left my dark slides in and never had a problem. I keep my holders in plastic zip locks or zippered pillow case liners, but keeping the slides in is one more line of defense against dust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never heard that one, I have always stored mine in bags with the slides in, the help prevent dust getting into the holders.

Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin