Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,331   Online: 968

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thornton-Pickard Shutter Repair leads?

I recently picked up a fairly functional Thornton-Pickard shutter. Everything's still working, even the various shutter speeds, but the material of the roller shutter is showing it's age (late 1890's ;~)) I was hoping someone might possibly have a lead on who/where I might have the roller blind material serviced/replaced.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I live in the UK - the first people I'd try would be:

Newton Ellis & Company
    29 Cheapside
    Liverpool
    L2 2DY
    England
    Tel. 0151 236 1391
    http://www.camerashop.btinternet.co.uk/

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    I recently picked up a fairly functional Thornton-Pickard shutter. Everything's still working, even the various shutter speeds, but the material of the roller shutter is showing it's age (late 1890's ;~)) I was hoping someone might possibly have a lead on who/where I might have the roller blind material serviced/replaced.
    Hi Paddy,

it's really not too difficult to replace it yourself. You need shutter curtain material from e.g. Microtools - get them to cut it in the size you need. And some glue - we use a Sicaflex type - a sharp knife and a little patience. If you want to know how to do this yourself, send us a pm, we might be able to guide your through the process.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Here you go...

Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain is the man you should speak with. Google him and you'll find his phone number. He replaced the shutter in an old focal plane slr I have and the work he did is nothing short of amazing. He takes his time and you'll pay for the service, but he is a great repairman and a great source of knowledge.

W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ineffablething
    Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain is the man you should speak with. Google him and you'll find his phone number. He replaced the shutter in an old focal plane slr I have and the work he did is nothing short of amazing. He takes his time and you'll pay for the service, but he is a great repairman and a great source of knowledge.

W.
    Him, or else maybe Bert Saunders, who can be found on the graflex.org forum. He made us new stiffners for a 1A Graflex and they were cheap. He also seems to replace shutter curtains on a weekly basis. If you mail him via the forum, he's likely to respond very fast.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Umm. Guys, I think the Thornton-Pickard shutter he's referring to is the tambour type, like a roll top desk, rather than a cloth curtain like typical focal plane shutters. These were usually mounted behind the lens like a Packard, and the above suggestions about using cloth to replace the curtains completely ignores the wood...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    I think the Thornton-Pickard shutter he's referring to is the tambour type, like a roll top desk, rather than a cloth curtain like typical focal plane shutters.
    Donald, the shutter curtain is certainly a coated cloth material. In fact, it's very similar in function, in a very simple but effective way, to today's focal-plane shutters.

Thanks for the lead, Ineffablething. I've sent off an e-mail to Ken Ruth with a request for some more info, specific to this shuttersince he's worked on them before.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin