Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,222   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

More questions from someone who went to LF

I have just taken the plunge into LF (Omega 45E) but haven't actually used it yet as I still need a couple of items. My questions right deal with a couple of equiptment issues that I might have. First, the lens end of the bellows has a couple of spots where the fold? doesn't compress and looks kinda like it has been pushed in. Can/should I take the lensboard out and try to push these back out? Second, I currently have a bogen 3221 tripod that I am planning on using. As it sits here next to me with the camera mounted it appears pretty solid but thats not outside in the elements. Do I have enough tripod for now?

Thanks in advance and I just hope that since I've taken the plunge, I can come up for air and not drown

g

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, if the bellows has become deformed, you can try to fix it by removing the back or the lensboard and manually adjusting the pleats so they fold properly.

I'm not sure how heavy a 3221 is, but if it's the tripod you have, then try it out. You'll know when you need a bigger tripod. The head is often a weak point, particularly if it's the stock head with a smaller legset. Many of the Bogen heads have the platform sitting too high on a relatively thin metal support for a heavy camera with a long rail, that can be a big source of leverage.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the bogen tripod and it is barely adequate with my Sinar. Its not too bad unless you are in wind or are using a lot of draw. The problems I have with the bogen is the center post setup is not stiff enough. I would use it for a while until you figure out what you need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    3221 sticks are fine for the 45E, the question is what head are you using? A 3047 3-way head will work well as will any of the heavier ball heads. I would avoid lightweight heads such as the 3025.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think your bogen will be fine. I've got a 3221 that's held up the Deardorff 8X10 many times. your 45E is much lighter. Usually a bellows will pop back into it's original form and be fine. Sometimes it helps to pop them back into shape and let them spend the night under a couple of phone books.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob,

I do have the 3047 head but I am planning to get the 3/8" plate as I have the 1/4x20 right now.

Jim,

I will probably tackle that tomorrow, and I can't wait to use that Fuji lens.

g

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ggriffi
    Bob,

I do have the 3047 head but I am planning to get the 3/8" plate as I have the 1/4x20 right now.

Jim,

I will probably tackle that tomorrow, and I can't wait to use that Fuji lens.

g
    No need to get the 3/8" plate, the 1/4" will hold just fine.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the 3/8" plate for my 4x5 Shen Hao, but for the 8x10 B&J beast I only have 1/4" inserts in the camera base. Seems completely bass-ackward to me, but it works well enough. I still want to get one of the larger plates for the 8x10, but for now it works well enough. The 3047 head is plenty stout for what I do, but I am careful with the 8x10 not to be in a hurry and tighten things for a shot. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just feel that the 3/8" thumbscrew would be a little more stout than the 1/4" thumbscrew. Thats why I wanted to go with that one.

g

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ggriffi
    I just feel that the 3/8" thumbscrew would be a little more stout than the 1/4" thumbscrew. Thats why I wanted to go with that one.

g
    One would think so, however the Linhof Technika I have has only 1/4", and it actually does work out just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin