Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,710   Online: 915

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New to LF - does this have a glass screen?

Hi,

I've been shooting with MF for a number of years now (Fuji 6X9). I want to get a cheap LF camera/enlarger to try out for a while. If all goes well I could then sell my MF and get a shen-hao (which is what I really want!).

I'm in the UK and have a budget of £100 for camera + lens and £100 for 5X4 enlarger. I think I'm a bit optimistic on that!

I've seen this on ebay - is it reasonable for a beginner in LF? I want a litlle bit of movement and I want a very cheap camera to start with. I have asked the seller if there is a ground glass back for focussing - no reply yet so I thought I'd ask here in case anyone knows.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks,

Dave.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The camera has a groundglass back. If it turns out that the glass itself is missing or broken, it can be easily replaced.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dave,

Judging from the photos, that particular camera *should* have a proper ground glas, since the back seems to be complete. What you see on the back is actually cover/metal shade, and the GG should be under it - it's opened by pressing the tab on the bottom.... The GG should be under it, provided it's in one piece... OTOH, I think you can forget about the film pack adapter - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can find "film packs" for it any more...
    You will also need appropriate film holders...

HTH,

Denis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another point about the B&J press camera you are looking at is that it has very few movements for perspective and sharpness control and that this model has only a spring back, which basically accepts 4x5" sheet film holders and some rollfilm holders (but the kind of rollfilm holders that fit a spring back are difficult to load out of doors).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You should be able to pick up an MPP, perhaps a mk7, or even an 8 if you can on UK e-bay. These cameras can go cheap, and are pretty up to date. A good one will last for ever. Usually seen with something like a 150 xenar. No problems with weird fitting dark slides or lens panels. A good mk8 is a better bet than one of those Chinese cameras!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Another point about the B&J press camera you are looking at is that it has very few movements for perspective and sharpness control

No rear movements but you might be suprised how much movements it has on the front. I could measure mine if anybody really cared but it's got a fair bit of movements. Now the bellows aren't too long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. My interest with a B+J lies solely in the price (to dip my toe in the water and try out the format). I'd prefer an MPP or crown graphic but they go for more than £100. Unless anyone wants to flog me one cheap

Can I use a "normal" sheet film holder with this camera - like the Riteway ones that are plentiful on ebay? I'm a bit clueless so thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can indeed use "ordinary" (standard) film holders - Riteway, Fidelity, whatever.

If you are interested in a cheap 4x5" with little movements, I have got a Linhof/MPP hybrid which might fill the bill. This is/was a Linhof Standard Press camera, 9x12 size, with double extension bellows and rising front (also a one-click and rather radical drop bed movement). I have removed the original 9x12 back (still have all parts) and fitted an MPP 4x5" spring back which takes standard slides. This could change hands for about £35!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (has one lens panel, no lens). Could find a reasonable pre-war lens for about £15.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    You can indeed use "ordinary" (standard) film holders - Riteway, Fidelity, whatever.

If you are interested in a cheap 4x5" with little movements, I have got a Linhof/MPP hybrid which might fill the bill. This is/was a Linhof Standard Press camera, 9x12 size, with double extension bellows and rising front (also a one-click and rather radical drop bed movement). I have removed the original 9x12 back (still have all parts) and fitted an MPP 4x5" spring back which takes standard slides. This could change hands for about £35!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (has one lens panel, no lens). Could find a reasonable pre-war lens for about £15.
    David that sounds excellent!! I'll drop you an email this evening.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin