Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,670   Online: 817
      
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    noseoil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Tucson
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,898
    Images
    17

    B&J 8X10 improvements

    Here are a couple of shots of mods to the 8x10 B&J beast. Lens shade was made from an old enlarger bellows. 4x5 reducing back made from an old Graflok back. Lens board for the 300mm symmar-s. Lens boards made out of mesquite wood. Jim Galli's 240mm G-Claron, mounted in an adaptor board for 4x5 or 8x10. tim

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    829
    Images
    7
    Good job. The lens boards are beautiful!

  3. #3
    BradS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area, California
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    3,951
    Nice. What did you use for the base of the 4x5 reducing back? Is it built up out of sticks or plywood or...????

  4. #4
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Nice. What did you use for the base of the 4x5 reducing back? Is it built up out of sticks or plywood or...????
    I'm interested in that too. The Seattle guys are working on my 8x10 next week (Hi schwin) and I need to McGuyver a 4x5 back. Maybe I can get clever and somehow use a 6x12 on the same board somehow.

  5. #5
    noseoil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Tucson
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,898
    Images
    17
    The base was "borrowed" from the back that came with with the camera originally. It shipped without an 8x10 back, but I found one from someone who had chopped up an 8x10 to change formats. It is a solid maple or birch B&J back (battleship gray) which had a rather strange sliding barn door polaroid-ground glass invention attached, which could be used for proofing. I didn't need it, but decided that the original back could work with a 4x5 back in place. Made a spacer out of 1/2" material to reduce the opening size and mount the Graflok back in place. Only problem I have is that to go from 8x10 down to 4x5 requires a little focusing due to the difference in set-back, not a major inconvenience. I think I may have used 1/2" MDF, but don't remember. It's painted, so I'm not sure. tim

  6. #6
    noseoil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Tucson
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,898
    Images
    17
    Checked back on my notes. The spacer part which connects the B&J back to the Graflok back is actually 1/2" Baltic Birch (not really 1/2" but more likely 12mm). This is the stuff I used to build drawer boxes out of, before d-sel white pine made drawers too expensive to bid jobs with. tim



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin