Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,639   Online: 717

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film Holder Repairs

I would appreciate knowing what you'd recommend (i.e. readily available)to replace the old crusty/brittle tape on the bottom of a film holder,...older Lisco 5x7's in this case.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I presume you mean the hinge tape.

There are many options - black photo tape (a form of masking tape) is a common choice. Book repair tape should be excellent - Gaylord is a major brand in that narrow field. I have been using some plasticized fabric tape - essentially an upscale version of duct tape only in 3/4" width and in colors.

The tape is the hinge, and isn't an active part of the light trap. Therefore, you can use pretty much whatever you find at your local stationers or hardware store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    search the threads here..this came up a few months ago and there was a lot of good information then...don't recall brand or anything but the reference to the book repair tape was made several times. Plan to find some soon just to have on hand.

Good luck
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    You can get the original from the manufacturer. I think they are in Burbank, CA. At least they were.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a few yards of film holder hinge tape from Calumet a while back. A tad expensive, but it works great.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone, for the quick responses!
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I went to a local art supply store. In their bookbinding section, they had rolls of black masking tape. As stated above, the 3/4" width fits perfectly. It was thinner than the original cloth tape, but I've never had a problem with light leaks because of it.

!!!Make sure to be very precise in cutting the lengths of tape.!!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin