Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,903   Online: 1072

Shooter
    Multi Format

Graduated ND? Choices?

What are my choices? I see B&W has a 3"x6" glass one but it's over $100. I'm trying to convince myself that I can live with a round filter. But I guess sooner or later that will cause problems with the change being in the wrong spot. What else is out there?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lee has ND resin filters, Hi-Tech also has resin ND filters. I think Cokin may also have something along that line too.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    What are my choices? I see B&W has a 3"x6" glass one but it's over $100. I'm trying to convince myself that I can live with a round filter. But I guess sooner or later that will cause problems with the change being in the wrong spot. What else is out there?
    Depends upon what you are shooting. I shoot mostly color landscapes and I couldn't live without my graduated ND filters (Cokin). While the Lee filters are much better (I'm going to buy a set myself), you can get by with the Cokin until you decide if the filter helps you any. Just get a G1 and a G2 (one and two stop). The whole kit should set you back $75 or so (including a P size holder).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you check the classifieds, I have a set of Cokin P filters which include three grads, adapters and more for $100 shipped in the US (and a little more shipping elsewhere).

The Cokin grads are not as neutral in color as the Lee or Hitech grads, but they are a lot cheaper.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm already set up for 3x3 and 4x4 filters so don't really want to add a new system. My first choice would be 3x3.

The Lee 4x6 is about 40% less then the B&W but it's resin not glass like the B&W. So the price is better but I'm wondering if long term the glass might not last longer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you don't drop or let them slip the glass do far out last the resin. They are easier to keep clean and better shooting in misty(beach) places. Plus they do not scratch. I have both and am considering going with all glass.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    I'm already set up for 3x3 and 4x4 filters so don't really want to add a new system. My first choice would be 3x3.

The Lee 4x6 is about 40% less then the B&W but it's resin not glass like the B&W. So the price is better but I'm wondering if long term the glass might not last longer.
    I'm not sure, but I know that Joe Cornish uses the Lee series, so they can't be all bad.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As was mentioned, the Cokin filters are the bottom of the line, but will allow you to get a feel for things. The two issues people seem to have with Cokin are that they do alter color slightly (are not a true neutral density) and that, being cast resin and not glass, they can distort images from a very good lens. For black & white they are fine for most things, but if you are shooting E6 and are picky about staying with color renditions, it may not look right. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used Singh-Ray grads in the past and they were outstanding. They fit the Cokin P holder and they are resin (easy to scratch, hard to break). They were very expensive--about $100 per filter. Cokin really isn't much of an option in filters, in my opinion. They're the optical equivalent of a Nehi bottle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My problem with the Cokin style filters is the need for a Cokin style holder. If they fit a 3x3 holder then I'd consider them. Or if they fit a 4x4 holder. But I'm not really interested in adding any more holders. Any money I might save on the filter I'd spend on the other fittings. Not to mention having to haul around those things. It seems I'd be better spending a little more on the Lee filter then going with the Cokin.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin