Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,772   Online: 890

Images

What happened to the guy selling bellows cheap on Ebay?

What ever happened to the guy who sold bellows on Ebay and he had a camera kit too. I might be in need of an 8x10 bellows and wanted to drop him a line. His prices seemed way reasonable.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're talking about Aletta, he apparently went belly-up. Rumor (and that's all it is to me as I have no personal proof...rumor) is that his bellows weren't light-tight. I read a number of posts last year from people who were waiting for replacement bellows when he disappeared. Literally disappeared, from all accounts. Putting two and two together (and remembering that both twos in this case are third-hand knowledge), I'd guess that his business couldn't survive having to replace a whole lot of bellows.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I guess that means he folded up his his tent......

Images
    Aletta is what I was thinking about. Bummer.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a set of his bellows, and his book.
    The bellows are made from paper with what looks to be masking tape on the outside, and painted black. His book is alright I guess never built the camera.
    I heard (again this is rumor), that he was infringing on someone's copy rights.

LaMar
    MaLar

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yup, you got it. I was one of the folks who got stiffed with translucent bellows 'n' the one who got him banned from e-bay when he stopped answering e-mails and disappeared.

He seemed like a nice enough guy but, when he got a bad batch of bellows material, he decided to take the money and run rather than replace the bellows for folks.

Last seen headed for California. If anybody down there runs into him, let us know - some of us still want to collect our pound of flesh!

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Mark, dont know about cheep you normaly gets what you pay for.

Try these folks over hear in the UK, www.camerabellows.com

If i'm not mistaken they make the bellows for Keith's Canham cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I had Western Bellows make the replacement for my 5X7 Eastman #2. They did a great job and at a reasonable price.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    you normaly gets what you pay for.
    Actually, in my experience, that rule is best stated in the negative: You almost never get what you don't pay for (but it's fairly common not to receive what you did pay for in this wonderful world).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin