Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,102   Online: 950

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks all for the helpful replies. I shoot mostly landscape details, often using a 2500mm in 6x6, but will also use a 50mm, and in both cases want sharpness and detail. I usually achieve this using Hassy's Zeiss glass, though some of my early (and very nice ) work was done with a 1930's Rolleiflex Tessar and a cord Xenar. So I have some sense of the difference in look between old and new glass, I just don't know how that look looks in a larger format.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks all for the helpful replies. I shoot mostly landscape details, often using a 2500mm in 6x6, but will also use a 50mm, and in both cases want sharpness and detail. I usually achieve this using Hassy's Zeiss glass, though some of my early (and very nice ) work was done with a 1930's Rolleiflex Tessar and a cord Xenar. So I have some sense of the difference in look between old and new glass, I just don't know how that look looks in a larger format. I shoot 80%b&w, the rest color, but love those color shots from the Hassy glass. Anyway, that's the basic idea.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    they seemed to work just fine for Ansel and Edward among others. An arresting composition will trump an ultra-sharp contrasty boring pic any day.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbenaim
    I shoot mostly landscape details, often using a 2500mm in 6x6,

Please post a picture of this lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blix@broadpark.no
    He will when he gets his 1mm wide angle, so he can fit it in the frame!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blix@broadpark.no
    Out here at work we've got a 2975mm lens we use on half frame 35mm quite regularly. Can't afford one for home though. 117" f8
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Consider that coated lenses did not become commercially available until after WW II. Many of Adams' and Weston's best known photographs were made in the 1920s,1930s and 1940s. With proper exposure, filtration and processing the vintage lenses are capable of producing stunning images. Modern lenses are no doubt easier to use and more forgiving.

In other words a person can acquire a lot of basic LF knowledge by using some old lenses. I do not suggest that anyone should avoid new lenses.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    ... Modern lenses are no doubt easier to use and more forgiving...
    "Modern" (read: Multicoated) lenses have inherently greater contrast than uncoated and (to a much lower degree) single-coated lenses. This makes "modern" lenses less forgiving than older lenses, which give "pre-flashed" shadows which are easier to get correctly exposed. Some of my high-contrast landscapes can only be fitted on film with single-coated lenses - at least all charts and analyses say that what I do is impossible, and none of the lenses I have used so far are multicoated ...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbenaim
    Thanks all for the helpful replies. I shoot mostly landscape details
    Here's a rough scan from a 1925 Zodelar 250/4.5, taken mid day at f16 - shot was underexposed, but managed to salvage something to get an impression of what it can do. Scan was made through the plastic neg cover. We made a better shot at f45, but that one was even more underexposed (forgot the lightmeter and did the wrong headmath...).

It's not a 4x5" neg, just a 6x9, but perhaps it gives you some clue what you might expect from an oldish lens (-still a lot younger than Jim Galli is currently showing off in another thread).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zodellar250_4,5_f16.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin