Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,787   Online: 821

Thread: Moving up

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Moving up

Hi, I am new to this forum: spent far too much time reading past threads but never posted until now.

I have been using my home built 5x4 field camera for a while now. I love it but contact prints from it are just too small! I think I have caught the bug and need something bigger.

I am on something of a restricted budget (I own a pub and most of my money goes into doing things to it) so cannot afford a nice new 10x8 camera.

I have noticed the russian 18x24cm FKD camera going quite cheaply on a certain auction site and wondered if anyone had used one - are they any good.

Also, I cannot find a supplier of 18x24 film in the UK. Is there one?

Many thanks for your help

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've seen these cameras too. I don't know anything about them but, they do look interesting. I had always just assumed that if I got one, I'd build anew back to fit a more commonly available size film holder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's the camera I think it is a few thoughts.

Check the shipping. It can be quite high.

It's a plate camera. With all those issues.

it's heavy IIRC.

Once you add the cost of shipping and the camera it's no cheaper [and can be more expensive ] then an 8x10 camera.

I'm fairly sure you can get a cheaper 8x10 on Ebay. Shipping to the UK will add a few dollars but you won't have to deal with the plate back.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an 18x24cm plate camera, even if not of the FKD type.

I bought a couple of cheap "clip" frames on IKEA, and use the glass and backing (one on each side) as "backing" for the film. So open the holder, insert film, insert glass, close (that side of the ) holder. Repeat as necessary. Works just great.

The 18x24cm plate holders are generally smaller than film holders, but it might still be possible to build a new back for "standard" film holders. This is on my (growing) "to do" list...

It's heavy, but not unreasonably so. Not significantly more than most folding 8x10" cameras - like a Gandolfi.

18x24cm film is still (fairly) easily available form Germany, but even there 8x10" is taking over as the market shrinks. Retrophotographic has MACO UP100 in 18x24cm.

But can anyone tell me where I find 30x40cm film for my Russian plate camera?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...d=406&pid=1184

It's not normal film. Plus it's a little bigger so you'd have to cut it down . But the price is right. OTOH I'd hate to ask how much shipping would be.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    But can anyone tell me where I find 30x40cm film for my Russian plate camera?
    How about cutting your own from the rolls of Aerographic film sold by mrfoto1 on eBay?

Seems to cut easy enough and is cheap to boot.

cheers

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Found some info about the FKD here: http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/stuff/fk/fk.html
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hmmm. Film available. Not too heavy. Camera + shipping is less than 100ukp.

I am edging towards the "Buy Now" button. I just need to press it before I get home and my girlfriend persuades me to spend the money on a dog instead of a camera!

Ole: maybe it's time to start making dry plates for your BIG plate camera. Got to be cheaper than film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, I did it!
    I guess I'll let you know what it is like when it finally arrives!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin