Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,461   Posts: 1,597,437   Online: 860

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Schneider SuperSymmar XL 80mm 4.5

All,

I am getting ready to order a Schneider SuperSymmar XL 80mm 4.5 lens, and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this particular lens. Everything I read tells me that it is extra sharp, with a big image circle (212mm). The literature talks about the need for a center filter (+$300) under some circumstances (big movements).

Thanks,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert,

I have this lens.

Get one and you won't be disappointed. Contact Jim at Midwest Photo Supply (www.mpex.com) if you need a center filter - I don't with this lens.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    All,

I am getting ready to order a Schneider SuperSymmar XL 80mm 4.5 lens, and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this particular lens. Everything I read tells me that it is extra sharp, with a big image circle (212mm). The literature talks about the need for a center filter (+$300) under some circumstances (big movements).

Thanks,
    There is one selling on e bay right now, you might get a better deal than through a store. Good luck!

I was thinking of getting the 80mm XL too but decided to try a tiny coated 80mm Protar V (4 1/2 x 6 1/2) on 5x7 instead at $150.00. I just tested it and it is pretty amazing. I'm sure that it is not as contrasty as the 80mm XL but there is great coverage and shadow definition and very low distortion visible. F18 is borderline but doable and with just a lenscap (a kodak 35mm film canister top works perfectly) is a charm to use. This is really wide on 5x7. A perfect cheap alternative WA lens, and about the size of a quarter. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I like this lens, although I don't use it very often because it's so wide. I don't use it with the centre filter: the fall off is very visible in skies, but I quite like it. I've got a couple of photos on my website made using it (e.g. this one).

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    There is one selling on e bay right now
    Make sure that if you buy second hand, you don't buy an early one. There was an issue with impurities in the glass that eventually causes a grey smear to appear between some of the elements. Mine is currently being replaced under warranty. However, I understand that Schnieder have fixed this problem so if you buy a new one then I expect it should be fine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Guys for your feedback. I'm going to buy new on this items, since it is a lens that I have wanted for a long time - and I suspect it will become my most used lens (it will replace my 90mm Nikkor). I will order the filter with the lens; I may not use it much, but it won't hurt to have it - As Ian points out the falloff is noticeable on the skies.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert, I've been using it for a couple of years and found it to be an exceptional lens. Previously underestimated how handy the large image circle is, and with a bag bellows the movements available are just great.
    It is very sharp and gives a very defined negative (if that makes sense). Chances are you'll notice the increased contrast by comparison with your other lenses, quite noticeably. At first I wasn't keen to spend the extra on the schndr cw nd filter, but I have to admit mine has practically lived there since new. The only time I take it off is when I particularly want the effect of exposure dropoff to the edges.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Robert, I've been using it for a couple of years and found it to be an exceptional lens.
    Thanks John, we will have to get together and compare notes. My favorite lens right now is my Schneider 135mm. It is shart and has good contrast; I suspect the 80mm will takes it's place as my favorite; and I can dump the Nikkor 90mm.

Did I mention that I may be in New Zealand in October? I told Sean I might. Anyway, I'm going to start looking at travel arrangements this coming week, and I will know for sure in a couple of weeks - Air New Zealand flies twice a week from Honolulu, and I would be stopping over on my way to Sydney. It would be great to get together.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    ...I mention that I may be in New Zealand in October? .... It would be great to get together.
    That's good news Robert! Would be great to catch up. I should be back from a trip on Sat 8th Oct. Would be a nice time to catch some spring landscapes North or South .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    replacing a 90mm nikkor 4.5 or f8? replacing the latter should be against the law. Massive coverage, light and the sharpest LF lens on the planet! Perez tests show this quite clearly. I would not sell mine unless I had a very very good reason. The 4.5 is a whopper and does not appeal to me as a field user. I have read too many mmixed reviews of the 80mm XL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin