Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,116   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Strange.

I have some holders I bought second-hand which had so much dirt in them I scraped it out with a screwdriver, and brushed it off with a toothbrush.

I haven't cleaned my darkroom since I put up a plate on a leaky wall, so there's a pile of sawdust and mortar in one corner. I also have three cats.

But I've never had a problem with dust!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    Some dust is inevitable. Try a Readyload or two to "benchmark" how dirty "clean" film is.

You can probably find a really good deal on clean used film holders from commercial studios. Often the gear that has been used for a few years is proven and bulletproof. I wouldn't waste my time fooling around with "bargain" holders, they are so cheap on eBay.
    I have the clean shots from my test as a really good benchmark, they had very small amounts of dust that were insignificant to me. The bad ones were so much worse it was scary.

It's interesting what you say about not messing around with bargain holders. I bought holders from KEH because they were so cheap that I didn't think it was worth the trouble to mess around with eBay! I guess in either case there is the risk (perhaps likelihood) that they have been sitting somewhere for a while and have been collecting dust. I will keep in mind the idea about buying from a commercial studio, it seems that they likely take much better care of things than one can trust from either eBay sellers or KEH.

Thanks!

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Strange.

I have some holders I bought second-hand which had so much dirt in them I scraped it out with a screwdriver, and brushed it off with a toothbrush.

I haven't cleaned my darkroom since I put up a plate on a leaky wall, so there's a pile of sawdust and mortar in one corner. I also have three cats.

Sounds to me like you are rubbing it in, I might need to report you to the moderators.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cook
    One common technique from my old days which I did not hear that you performed was to (1) hold the holder vertically with the lint trap at the top (2) tap vigourously on the side of the holder over the plastic panel which covers the light trap. We used to use the handle of our Static Master lint brushes (the blunt end of a screwdriver or jack knife would do) after dusting the inside of the holder film area.
    I did rap them against the base of my palm, but not using something hard and not upright so that dust from the traps will fall out. I will definitely try it this way next time.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cook
    Perhaps dust accumulates on the slides and is scraped off into the bottom of the light trap when the slide is removed to make an exposure. If so, storing the holders in plastic bags in your case would be helpful.
    Good idea, I have been keeping them in a film holder bag, which I figured would do well enough. Perhaps well enough is not good enough!

Thanks!

Paul.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Air Compressor

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but Air Compressors work great. I only blow out my holders after 5 or 6 runs of film through them. Even more if I'm on the road. It's always the SKY that gets it anyway!!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Paul:

Here is a useful source for anti-static plastic bags:

http://staticbags.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Lucky bugger. I think humidity might play a part in this as well - it's extremely dry here in Calgary, which of course increases static electricity....I doubt if it's as dry where you live
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Swiffer dry cloths are great for cleaning film holders - or cleaning any photo gear really. They really grab the dust and hold it. I don't think I'd try it with the wet version though.

... and no, I have no affiliation with the makers of this fine product

Nathan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin