Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,156   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Beattie Intenscreen vs SatinSnow?

I am using a Beattie Intenscreen, I switched perhaps 2 years ago from the factory Ground Glass on my Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s.

As I read through these forums I realize there is representation from Satinsnow.

Could anyone please tell me the pros and cons of possible switching from the Beattie to the SatinSnow?

S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shyguy,

The Beattie, is a enhanced viewing screen, the Satin Snow is a True ground glass, we have a considerable difference in cost as opposed to what Beattie does.

Is there a reason your considering changing?

This would help me or many of the users of our screens answer your question, with a bit more information.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the money... SatinSnow without a doubt. I enjoy using one on my 4x5 and will be ordering one for my 5x7 soon.
    But since you already have the Beattie, why are you considering the switch? Has it not performed up to your expectations?

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    on occasion I notice the frensel lines. They tend to annoy me. There still seems to be falloff the further away from the center. I realize this is better with the Beattie than the Linhof GG. I use the 110 quite a bit, with a centerfilter, and i guess i am hoping for even brighter. Perhaps it's not meant to be. I do use a range of lenses from 72 to 400, and i mix it up quite a bit

I am basically just curious, as i have heard so many good things about the satinsnow, i wondered if i was missing out on something.

S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I have read, I would not consider the Beattie as an upgrade from my normal screen. The problem I have here is heat. The micro-matrix in the Beattie was a wax base (please correct me if I'm wrong) and it will melt in the temps here. The "extreme" temperatures here normal this time of year. Its about 110f now, too hot to go under the dark cloth for me. tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    From what I have read, I would not consider the Beattie as an upgrade from my normal screen. The problem I have here is heat. The micro-matrix in the Beattie was a wax base (please correct me if I'm wrong) and it will melt in the temps here. The "extreme" temperatures here normal this time of year. Its about 110f now, too hot to go under the dark cloth for me. tim
    You are talking about the Maxwell screen. The beatti uses a fresnel lens and a coated glass. Yes, the wax is the problem with those screens, you are not the only one who has complained about this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shyguy
    ... There still seems to be falloff the further away from the center. ...
    S.
    I too note the "falloff the further away from the center". My new Satin Snow is brighter than my Beatie.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    As Jorge said, that's not a problem with this brand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    You are talking about the Maxwell screen. The beatti uses a fresnel lens and a coated glass. Yes, the wax is the problem with those screens, you are not the only one who has complained about this.
    Are you sure that you're not talking about the BosScreen, which uses a wax layer between to pieces of clear glass? I'm not aware that the Maxwell screen uses wax.

Beattie and Maxwell screens are a combination of a ground glass plus a fresnel lens, which evens out the light. Fresnels, though, are most effect with the specific focal length taking lens that they were designed for, and they give less good results with other focal length taking lenses. The BosScreen and the Satin Snow focusing screens don't have built in fresnels.

I've used high quality acid etched "ground" glass (Sinar), low quality groud glass (Toho), Linhof super screen (plastic with built in fresnel), BosScreen (wax), Beattie intenscreen plus (in my Rollei), and the Maxwell.

For 4x5 work with lenses from 110mm to 600mm my favorite is the Maxwell. It's bright, even, and easy to focus, although it should be for how much it costs. The Beattie works well in my Rollei TLR. I've heard the some people don't like'm, but it's an order of magnitude better than my original Rollei screen. I'm not a fan of the BosScreen, as I had focussing problems with mine. The linhof screen was ok, but it really needed the clear glass cover plate for rigidity, which I didn't have.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd try the Satin Snow screen first. It's sounds high quality and the price is right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt
    , I'd try the Satin Snow screen first. It's sounds high quality and the price is right.
    The Satinsnow gg is so incredibly modest in price that to NOT try it yourself would be a personal disservice. You could see a really bad movie with popcorn and a soda or buy TWO of them for the same price. I'd skip the flick!
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin