Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,212   Online: 957

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is Garolite is the dark slide material used in the standard Fidelity holders...if yes, would you know the thickness of the 4x5, 8x10 sizes...
    Your holders are absolutely grand
    Thanks, Nancy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Great work!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul..

Thanks for the offer to work up a web page, let me “ruminate” on the idea for a while...

Colin...

When cutting plastics and nonferrous metals (aluminum, brass, etc), you need a blade with a Triple-Chip grind and a negative hook angle. Woodworking blades shatter plastics, and are downright dangerous with metals. If you don’t have one, take a look at the Freud 7-1/4 inch x 56TCG “Diablo” metal cutting blade (# 122.990, at http://woodworker.com/Freud_Blades.htm ). It’s a thin kerf design, and should give a very clean edge which needs only a light dressing with a smooth cut file.

Nancy...

I cant’ say that Garolite is the ..exact.. same material that Fidelity uses, in looking at my motley collection of 4x5 and 5x7 holders, the material appears to be a plastic sheet that I’d guess to be a form of ABS plastic. Garolite is a Phenolic impregnated paper which I can assure you is perfectly suitable for darkslides. (I can’t make any comment about it’s suitability for infrared film, somebody else will have to make that test). I measured the thickness of a 4x5 Riteway at 0.030” and a 5x7 Lisco at 0.031”. I would not hesitate to us 1/32” (0.032”) Garolite for 8x10 holders.

For 11x14 holders, 1/32" might be a bit thin because of a potential to “sag” at the edge that finds it’s way into the slot in the flap end, especially if the holder is laid flat when inserting the darkslide. I’m almost certain the 16x20 folks will need the heavy-duty 1/16” Garolite. Like I said earlier, if it were available in metric thickness, 1.0 mm (0.040”) it would be ideal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your reply
    Nancy

Images
    I agree with Dave (Mongo). Your experience and knowledge in this would be hugely valuable to others who would attempt the same or a similar project. It ought to be recorded and made available for permanent reference. There are probably people who aren't going to start a project today, but down the road your information would be very helpful. Perhaps as a website or at least an article on APUG.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Garolite is a tradename for a phenolic material. Phenolic comes in a variety of grades based on the amount of fiber that is included in the plastic. From what I have discovered, pehnolic grade determines cost. high grade phenolic used for circuit boards is pretty expensive, about $250 for an 8x10 sheet of .032 or metric equivalent.

If you contact a plastics retailer and mention "garolite" they would provide the same product or something the same by another mfg. Most plastics retailers will cut pieces to size for a small fee. cost per foot would be less from a local retailer then McMaster-Carr or MSC, but then again you might have to buy a whole sheet.

Here is the McMaster-Carr page:http://www.mcmaster.com/
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Neal, but there is so much more to making the holders than directions. Nuances of woodwork screw me up - things like amputating my left thumb at the second knuckle seven weeks ago, little stuff like that. I give up. I'm so dim.

That said, you have my appreciation and if you ever go commercial, you certainly have my attention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They look like a nice set of holders. I'm not sure that I could make them......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin