Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,036   Online: 896

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I anxiously await the digital camera version......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I have a coffee table book, about 20 years old, called "The Americas". Has photos like Curtis and other western photographers. There's a good image of that same photo above inside it. I now know, what he was taking a photo of! After all these years. There' s a photo inside, I remember well also, a guy about a foot from the edge of a cliff and looking behind the ground glass of an 8x10.

What strikes me as fascinating about those photos, is the post processing of the plates out in the field. Now that is insane!
    Is the photo of the guy on the cliff at the Grand Canyon?

The Kolb brothers, the photogs at the grand canyon in the early 1900's would take a photo at their studio and then jog down the trail into the canyon a ways where there was water to complete the processing. They woud shoot a portrait of folks riding mules down, develope the neg and have a print for them when they got back to the top at the end of the mule tour. Those brothers were in seriously good shape. I've printed from many of their negs and there are pebbles and other small debris stuck in the emulsions.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    That is exactly what my Nikon feels like after hanging around my neck for a few hours
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What's that guy at the back doing? I think he's applying some in-camera dodging by wiggling his dodging wand

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Where is the guy who was asking about making his own "lens"? Let him work on this one.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm ... right a bit, left just a touch ... no the other left ... now up a bit, yep that'll do it ...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually, the guy at the back was operating the focal plane shutter. I've been fascinated by the group of articles all afternoon. Interesting guy. Solved every problem but one. Cheated on his wife and had to flee to California leaving all the cameras behind.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby." -Elliott Erwitt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and where's a link to the picture of the train?

Shooter
    Large Format
    So, does it come with a digital back?.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin