Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,721   Online: 826

Thread: Ilex #5 shutter

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilex #5 shutter

My Ilex #5 shutter is apparently missing a part just inside the cable release tube where the release activates the release lever. The cable release invariably pushes to one side or the other of the internal lever and jams, usually not firing the shutter. Yes, I am using the thickest shutter release made and it doesn't help enough.

Has anyone a diagram of the part so I can make one? Does anyone have a good, working Ilex #5 to sell? Is there an equivalent to the Ilex?

In the meantime, I am still trying to noodle out a good workaround - other than putting a string on the external release.

tia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    My Ilex #5 shutter is apparently missing a part just inside the cable release tube where the release activates the release lever. The cable release invariably pushes to one side or the other of the internal lever and jams, usually not firing the shutter. Yes, I am using the thickest shutter release made and it doesn't help enough.

Has anyone a diagram of the part so I can make one? Does anyone have a good, working Ilex #5 to sell? Is there an equivalent to the Ilex?

In the meantime, I am still trying to noodle out a good workaround - other than putting a string on the external release.

tia
    Is your #5 an Acme or a Universal?

The Universal is a self-cocking shutter and has a different arrangement inside for the cable release than the set-and-release Acme. I had a similar problem with a #4 Universal that wouldn't fire reliably with a cable. The driven rod at the end of the cable release would slip off the actuating lever inside.

I have a page on one of my web sites that shows the internal arrangement of a #4 Universal. It could be that the slot on the tube that the cable release screws into (the slot is inside the shutter) has expanded and needs to be gently pressed back together. If you're not inclined to try this, I'd send it to our own Carol (Flutot) Miller - she does great work.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    . The cable release invariably pushes to one side or the other of the internal lever and jams, usually not firing the shutter. Yes, I am using the thickest shutter release made and it doesn't help enough.

tia
    This sounds like the problem I have with one of my big shutters. Don't remember which one at the moment...

My shutter has a bar inside the cable socket that is pushed up by the cable release. The problem is that the bar has become slightly loose with age and all cable releases have a rounded tip. So when pushed, the release tip slides to one side of the bar, not firing the shutter... My 'fix' was simple...

I took all my releases, locked them in a lsightly pushed in position, then used a fine needle file to get rid of the rounded tip. Takes a few seconds as the tips are made of soft brass. With the flat tip, this shutter now fires 100% as do the rest of them. I never really could understand the rounded tip idea in the first place, but it's easily fixed...

If this sounds similar to your problem, give it a try on a cheap release and see what happens...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Bob and Rich. The small part you each speak of is missing from my shutter. I looked carefully to see if it had fallen into the works, and it has not. I will go through the stock stainless and brass rods to see if I can find one to fit and modify somehow to work. I just hate to be without this lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's very common for the lever to migrate internally over time and require a progressively longer and longer throw. I've had SK Grimes fix this on mine.

I think Frank Marshman has a supply of Ilex parts, so you might send it to him. He does great work. I don't have his 800-number handy, but his business is called "CameraWiz" in Harrisonburg, VA.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin