Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,776   Online: 770

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

just got a 5x7...some questions

Hi all,
    So I scored a Seneca Improved View 5x7 today at a photo fair. I have tried looking up information on it but still have some questions. Can I use regular/current 5x7 holders on it? Also, since it came with a lens board - how would I know if it's a particular "type" of lensboard? Do LF lenses come in different thread sizes?

I'm in the hunt for a lens now. Hopefully I can find one, and some holders, for not too much.

thanks,
    allan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Congrats on getting into a fantastic format. Yes modern holders will work fine in the Seneca. There have been about a zillion different lens possibilities over the years. What size is the hole in your lens board. Generally with simple wooden boards we make new boards up to match the lenses we buy. A common f5.6 210mm is a great place to start with a 5X7. If you'd like a wider view this little lens is still available and is about the correct age for the camera.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for replying, Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Yes modern holders will work fine in the Seneca.
    cool. Now I gotta just figure out how to insert them...I will figure that out after I get a couple. Am very excited.

What size is the hole in your lens board. Generally with simple wooden boards we make new boards up to match the lenses we buy.
    I assume you want it in mm...it's just about 50mm. I see some lenses going for sale on ebay with boards. Should I at least be prepared to make a new board, though? The one I have looks like it's in good shape.

A common f5.6 210mm is a great place to start with a 5X7. If you'd like a wider view this little lens is still available and is about the correct age for the camera.
    Yes, I saw that one in the classifieds. I am not going for a lens that is the same age, so I'll probably keep looking. thank you, though.

allan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Allan, your 50mm hole would be perfect for an Acme Sychro #3 shutter. There were tons of lenses that used this shutter from expensive Dagor's (I have a 180mm I'd sell) to relatively inexpensive Ilex and Wollensak products. One that never seems to get much respect in the bidding wars is Ilex 190mm f4.5 in Acme Synchro 3 shutter. You could likely score one of those for $90 and you'll be on your way. BTW, they're a fine sharp lens. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah. So the lens board hole size affects the type of shutter that can be used. Got it. I'll go look for those lenses you mentioned, with that shutter. Thanks!

allan

PS - thanks for offering the 180 Dagor, but I don't think I could afford that :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's just a wooden board you could make a new one pretty easily. Then you could drill it to fit any lens you might want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a listing of what size holes are needed for which shutters? Is this just something you look at in the specs on the lens/shutter combo? Also, the lens board I have has threads already in it - would I need to somehow insert threads into a board if I made my own?

I'll keep an eye out for one that will fit my existing board. Otherwise I'll look into making my own.

thanks,
    allan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey Allan,

you may be looking at it all the wrong way. Your best bet would probably be to look for the lens you want and make a lensboard to fit. If making a lensboard seems like too much work, I can help you out with that no problem. But when you do find a lens, make sure it comes with a flange or ring; finding one of those to match your lens can sometimes be a real struggle especially with older lenses.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    Is there a listing of what size holes are needed for which shutters? Is this just something you look at in the specs on the lens/shutter combo? Also, the lens board I have has threads already in it - would I need to somehow insert threads into a board if I made my own?

Does it have a flange installed?

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm

Click around that website. IIRC the info is also on the largeformat website.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That makes two Alan's buying 5x7's in two weeks. This may be the start of a trend...How many Alans or Allens around here have 5x7's?

I ended up with a Century No. 2 and the challenge of making the back rail thing. Actually, I don't think it will be that much of a challange and I have some cherry that will work nicely. Polishing the brass will likely take much longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin