Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,220   Online: 658

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you paint it then you don't have to match wood. You don't have idiots complaining they don't like the color,grain whatever of the wood. Wanting to exchange the camera because thier friend got a "nicer" one. It lets you change wood if supply or price becomes an issue.

LF for equipment has to be the best value. I bought five 5x7 film holders for $3.25 in May. It was a heated bidding war to

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You made out very well, Lee!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    Maple? What a beautiful wood, but it seems unlikely. Back then, and earlier wood was just the most feasible material and lower-end camera makers didn't even try to match grain. Some kind of mahogony was typical.
    Mine was maple and Mike's is maple, too.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The March/April 1995 issue of View Camera has a great article on how to refinish B&J's by Patrick Alt. It is maple underneath the battleship grey. I had plans to refinish mine, but never got around to it. It is a camera that does not need to look pretty to be used

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Whoever that designer was that found his way to Linhoff also designed every computer on earth to be the same boring color. Maybe it was Virgil Exner who also styled the Dodge Lancer in 1961.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Whoever it was was considered such a genius that he was hired away by Linhof to design the tan covering for the 1970s Technikas and all the matching equipment of that era (tripods, backs, copy stands, studio stands--all tan). I believe this same person worked for Gucci briefly, designing two-tone tan and white patent leather shoes for men.
    Ahh, the "Linhof loafer"!

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fun story. Thanks Jim.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Always nice to see a piece of old machinery aviod the junk pile.

(Lawrd knows I buy enough of 'em!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very nice! But I can't believe you gave it a 'bath'? I would never attempt that, but the humidity here rarely goes below 65% except maybe in January....

I have two 8x10 B&J Commercial Views here in the same grey. When I got them, I read about the stripping anf Maple underneath. It's very tempting. But to do it right, the camera has to be compteley disassembled and that's a lot of work. And I see these as 'work' camera. Once you get used to the grey, it's not too bad. I also like to leave cameras as original as possible. The next owner can do what they want to it, but I'd like to think they saty as original as possible for the next generations.

Many people knock those old B&J cameras, but they are truly work horses, if a little heavy ;-) It wasn't long at all before I found a lighter alternative ;-)

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In the mid west where I grew up more than half a century ago----maple and oak was very common, actually the oak antique furniture prized by some made 80 to 100 years was the cheap stuff....sold to the po folk...walnut though available, was expensive and is....I remember some folks in a small Illinois town coming home from vacation only to find several huge maturr American walnut trees had been removed. It was and is prized for gun stocks---fiddle back maple was and is another story--and Calamity will appreciate that I have a nice muzzle loader adorned with fiddle back maple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin