Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,178   Online: 766

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in the days before bowling alleys sprang up, 2 and 3 in every medium sized town and one even in a little burg, maple was common and inexpensive in much of America. Add to that the fact it's both easy to work and long wearing, with little tendency to split and almost no effect of grain on cutting tools (unlike some hardwoods and most softwoods) and you have a perfect wood for making stuff like cameras.

Then those bowling alleys came along (late 40s, early 50s), and between pins and aprons, sucked up literally millions of century-old maples over the course of a couple decades. Suddenly it was cheaper to use imported woods like mahogany, fast-growing (but less durable) species like poplar and birch, or even plywood.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a stripped and refinished 11x14 Burke and James and I believe it is maple. Nice light wood with red bellows. It's much more attractive than the battleship gray one I almost bought a few years ago.

These B&J view cameras are a real bargain IMO. In good shape 4x5s and 5x7s routinely fetch only $125-$200 on eBay. And, if you ever need parts, ones in need of reconditioning frequently come up on eBay as well. I've cannabalized a few of them to make a good camera out of a couple cheap broken ones.

Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow, what a sweet deal, but I wouldn't try to get it (look at that rubble). Now, thanks for the tip, I might try to get a B&J too if the price is right.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    These B&J view cameras are a real bargain IMO. In good shape 4x5s and 5x7s routinely fetch only $125-$200 on eBay. And, if you ever need parts, ones in need of reconditioning frequently come up on eBay as well. I've cannabalized a few of them to make a good camera out of a couple cheap broken ones.

Joe
    You can do this with Kodak 2Ds as well.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    You can do this with Kodak 2Ds as well.
    IF you can get beyond the incredibly messed up page here
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7531334692

How did he do that?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin