Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,091   Online: 935

Images

How do you know which sized packard shutter to buy?

I have a 12 inch F6.8 CP goerz Am. Opt. Co lens that I want to mount to a packard. How do I know what size?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Go here:
    http://www.hubphoto.com/photography-products.htm

and match up the outside size you can mount to your camera vs. the opening size that fits your lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That depends on whether you want to front mount the shutter or mount it inside a camera. The lensboard or front standard of the camera may be limiting. Front mounting will usually allow more choices in shutter sizes.

You need to know the diameter of the rear lens elements and figure out how wide an angle of view the lens has to avoid having the shutter vignette if you mount it internally. You may also have to incorporate a spacer if the rear of the lens is a large distance from the mounting flange. Front mounting eliminates these concerns although the shutter might possibly intefere with some extreme movements such as lens tilt, again depending on the lens and camera configuration.

If you search for Hub Photo or Professional Photographic Products (the manufacturer) you will see sizes for both the opening diameter and the outer dimensions of the shutter assembly on their webpage.

Images
    SO the frame of the shutter should be the same size as the lens board and the opening should be the same as the diameter of the rear element?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you're mounting the Packard behind the lens, it usually has to be a little smaller than the lensboard so that it fits inside the lensboard frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I have a 12 inch F6.8 CP goerz Am. Opt. Co lens that I want to mount to a packard. How do I know what size?
    It's definitely worth checking--I bought an old 27cm Dagor (Berlin) for the packard shutter. I not only found that it wasn't big enough for the lens I wanted to use (a 9" Verito), but it was too big for the 4" lensboards I use. I thought it would at least work with the lensboard, since the Dagor was mounted on a 4" board. Lesson--not all 4" boards are the same!

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin