Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,941   Online: 1103

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe some sort of channel. Then mount a screw on the side. Same sort of screw used in a C clamp. Place the holder in the channel. Tighten the screw to hold the holder in place. Should be easy enough to make up a row like that so you can load the holders one after the other.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41320

That's not deep enough. Put really you could make the channel out of wood easy enough. Like a letter holder or napkin holder I guess.

This is why I like my tools named Bedrock. They can still bite but it's less damage.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    John & Charles,

A couple of questions :

1) do you just need to hold the film holder steady while you work, or do you also need a mechanical way to keep the flap open as well? I've just tried this with dead film and a Fidelity holder in 4x5 keeping my eyes closed and NOT using anything on my left hand, only my forearm and palm to hold the holder steady. I have an idea brewing - the "better idea" light bulb is ON!

2) John , you've said that you can do some work....can you manage to drive two screwnails into a wood base given that a film holder clamp with predrilled pilot holes is supplied without the baseboard?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    John & Charles,
    [...]
    2) John , you've said that you can do some work....can you manage to drive two screwnails into a wood base given that a film holder clamp with predrilled pilot holes is supplied without the baseboard?
    Yes, I can, John. And by gosh, I do have 4x5 back parts to work with. You all have been very helpful. I'm getting a better and better picture of the solution. What I have in mind at the moment is using a sliding clamp from a univeral back to lock the holder down, then a simple smooth knob which I'll slip the flap under.

Charles, did I make that clear enough? Chances are that I'll go to the shop tomorrow and start mucking about!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not use a small spring clamp to keep the flap open? Or even a laundry peg? Wouldn't that keep both flaps open?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi again guys,

Have a look at this quicky holder holder I threw together from some scrap stuff I had in the basement. Think it'd work for y'all?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/oldrad/Photo/Tech/holderclamp/

cheers eh?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    deep sigh.......

I know, I know....the example film is in upside down - try to pretend ok?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    Hi again guys,

Have a look at this quicky holder holder I threw together from some scrap stuff I had in the basement. Think it'd work for y'all?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/oldrad/Photo/Tech/holderclamp/

cheers eh?
    No fair, show-off. You used steel! I'm so envious. Are you a machinist? I have this big project...

I can load film in the darkroom by using my left forearm to hug the holder. It's the changing bag (Calumet tent) that's so daunting. Still practicing (it is HOT here today. You know how that is in a bag.)

Okay, down to the woodworking shop. I can make one like yours pretty quick. Thanks for the nudge.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    No fair, show-off. You used steel! I'm so envious. Are you a machinist? I have this big project....
    Nope - just a farm boy .

If either of you lads wants this it's yours for the asking - I don't need it. If both of you want one - I'll make another - doesn't take long - just let me know.

cheers for now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

What a team!

You guys are the best. The people here on APUG are the best. And good luck to
    Jim with his new "tool"
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the offer, John B, but I will do better by hacking away at another version. It ain't vanity, it's just tenacity. Besides, I need to get back to the saw, get over the bad experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin