Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,551   Posts: 1,599,170   Online: 1186

Thread: VPan LF cameras

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

VPan LF cameras

Recently saw a panoramic view type camera called a V Pan on Ebay. Don't know this brand but it had front movements. Anyone know of this camera and it's reliability. Uses Linhof lensboards. ?????????

Images
    I know it is a 6x17 camera. Supposedly really good build.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks Mark, Looks interesting as a panoramic option but ....wanted a second opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I owned a V-Pan for a couple of years. It's a very nice solution for a dedicated 6X17 - all front movements but no rear movements. I think that a 5X7 with a Canham back may be a better all round solution - the V-Pan is a monorail which makes it a little cumbersome for the field, and after all, the field is where you want a 6X17...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you, All information is truly appreciated. I admit I don't know what a Canham back is but the 5X7 idea does sound reasonable and you are right that the field is where you use 6X17.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Canham 6x17 back will fit 5x7" cameras that have Graflok-type slides (Canham, Wista, and increasingly others). It has motorized film advance, gets very good reviews, and costs about $1000.

I've been using one of the Chinese-made 6x17 backs that fits on a 4x5" camera (Da Yi). These cost around $550, and are a nice addition if you already have a 4x5" camera with a Graflok-type back, but are more limited than the Canham back in that they only work with lenses from 75mm to 150mm. Shorter lenses won't focus, due to the built-in extension of the back, and longer lenses vignette, though that may be acceptible (i.e., you could shoot, say, 6x15 with a 360mm lens).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin