Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,719   Online: 786

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help selecting and 8x10

I am once again interested in an 8x10.

What i am looking for is a quality camera, stiff, good movements preferably full and around 10# and something that does not cost as much as a car. Also relatively compact.

I dont really plan to pack with this camera, but it would be nice to be able to schlep it in the field for 1/2 mile without having a heart attack. I was recently looking at a cambo legend, but that thing weighs 24#. I also previously owned and old ansco (too loose) and a super heavy studio camera a while back. It was rediculous.

Right now I have a 4x5 Sinar F2, so I could go the 8x10 conversion route also, but I am not sure how much they weigh. Too heavy I am sure.

This is mt list so far.....

Bender kit for $450 and 6#, looks kinda cheap

I am kind of leaning towards the magnesium Eastman Commerical at about 9lbs if i can find one. I read somewhere that Ansel Adams used one of these. Maybe some of his enthusiasm might rub off on me. It has to be modified for front tilt.

or a Canham JMC810 all metal camera. Realy too expensive, but the quality might be worth it.

Of course there are all sort of super expensive 8x10'a like Ebony etc.

and there are the Tachiharas and the sort. Just too many.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Low weight, sturdy, movements - check out Gandolfi. The Variant has the most movements, the Traditional is even sturdier. Weight is the same - 4kg (about 8lb).

I use a Gandolfi Traditional 5x7", which is great enough that I've also bought a Traditional 8x10" "restoration project".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good condition Ansco won't be loose. It will also be more then 10 lbs. I think mine is 14lbs. Around that.

You need to decide what you want.

Cheap and light? Likely floppy.

Cheap and sturdy? Will likely be heavy.

If you find a good Ansco it'll lock down well enough IMHO. It won't be light. But the price will be less then the Bender kit.

Or you could look at some of the older monorails. My Cambo Super isn't any heavier then my Ansco. Take the standards off the rail. Switch to a shorter rail. Suddenly the thing could go into a backpack and be carried without too much effort. OTOH you have to watch the older monorails. These things have been used. Mine didn't take too much work to tighten up but it did take some effort.

FWIW the Shen Hao website shows a new lighter 8x10. No idea on price. It's alumiumn. Only about 26" of bellows. Under 10lbs. But it'll cost more then any of the classic cameras out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would want to see the "new" 8x10 Shen Hao on a scale. My 4x5 was listed as 4+ pounds and actually tips the scales at 6. This is not to say it isn't a sturdy, well made and solid design, just that the advertising and marketing was a little optimistic.

I would like to see their new 8x10 and a price. My old B&J 8x10 is 17# with the lens in place. Add a few film holders, light meter, dark cloth, tripod and the box I use to carry it and you have a chiropractor's dream come true. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My 5x7 matches what they claimed. At least last time I weighed it. The website claims the 4x5 is 5 1/4 lbs. Unless you've got the TFC45 model. But even that wide angle model they claim 4.4lbs [2 kgs]

I remember when I got my 5x7 being a little confused by the specs. But after awhile I figured them out. All the specs match it's just how they measure wasn't that well explained. Add in the fact they had two different sets of specs on the website with no explanations and things got even more confusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think there is a better used 8x10 than the Kodak Master View. At 12# it is heavier then you are looking for but for portability, movements, exension and ruggedness it is by far the best thing next to buying new.

here is a link with all the info.http://www.largeformatphotography.in...asterview.html

They show up on Ebay from time to time. Recently I have seen a couple in excellent condition go for about $1000.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you like the F2, I'd go with the conversion kit. It should put you in the ballpark as far as weight goes (probably in the 12-15 lb. range), operation will be familiar with all the Sinar conveniences, and everything will be compatible with your current system, so you can do things like use your 4x5" bellows as a compendium shade when shooting 8x10" or add another standard and rail for extra extension, and all your lenses will be on the same boards.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

8x10

It is going to boil down to what suits you the best. My reccomendation is either to rent an 8x10 or borrow one from a friend to try out. Example:I used to own the $3500 woodfield Canham. Actually learned to hate the thing. It was way too
    "shifty" for me. Sold off all my 8x10 equipment but recently I acquired an 8x10 FolmerSchwing. Now this camera doesn't fold up but I don't hike anyway. I
    haven't weighed it but I know it is lighter than the Canham and has 43 inches of bellows. Cost: $100!Cameara has some really nice GEARED movements on it also. I've been buying up older wooden holders on ebay which are way lighter than the Liscos I used to own. Average price for those is about $10/each. So I would say try it before you buy it.
    Best,Peter Schrager

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin