Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,466   Online: 967

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GG in a pinch

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Carborundum-thats the ticket......I got a 4 x 5 inch by 1/2 thick piece of plate---like the use to engrave trophies etc....put your ground glass on a towel larger than your ground glass wet the ground glass, spread the carborundum and lay your 4 x 5 glass on it and move in a circular motion...in this was you dont have to move your whole ground glass...

I made my own 20 x 24 glass like this for my 20 x 20 camera-the glass is beautiful.......the camera project however is pathetic! I gave up...bought a camera....glad I did....should have done it in the first place.....might put the glass on a box set up to focus for a pin hole.....never know....

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for the ideas. Here in Kyiv I could probably go with the Carborundum route or get something in from SatinSnow if the customs people are being nice that day - or get it sent to my father in Delaware and have him forward it. But I was at a Black Sea nature reserve last week and the nearby village didn't have its own glass place. The nearest town would be an hour or two away on one of those lovely diesel buses that make you want to start smoking on your own again. It did have its own grocery stores and so the translucent paper could work.
    Bringing a spare might be a good idea, and in acrylic at that. Next year's trip will be on horseback to an even remoter part of the country.
    The loupe/air route was a new one for me - exactly what I was looking for! So let me try again and see if there are any other ideas lurking. Pitcure yourself being stuck in the middle of nowhere, no Carborundum, no FEDEX until you get home several days later. What would you use for a quick and temporary GG replacement and what would you NOT use? Let's narrow it further and put the priority on focusing and not composing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you're in the field, you're not going to be grinding much glass. When you break it, just head for the nearest hardware store. A piece of glass from a cheap picture frame and a can of No Vue window spray is all you need. If some nice hardware person will cut your glass to size, so much the better.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Even if there is no Carborundum, there should be some fine abrasive available that will grind glass--metal polish or whatever. This is low tech stuff.

Isn't there actually an optical factory in Kyiv?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Even if there is no Carborundum, there should be some fine abrasive available that will grind glass--metal polish or whatever. This is low tech stuff.

Isn't there actually an optical factory in Kyiv?
    I'll bet that every auto garage has a can of valve lapping compound in a drawer somewhere - that'll do in a pinch.

cheers eh?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The lower tech the better, so the valve lapping compound idea fits, too. There's got to be plenty of it, since in those places most people still drive things based on the Fiat 125 or a '64 Falcon (4 cyl, not a 289). Thanks!

Kyiv does have an optical factory - it's one of the reasons why Mamiya is so popular here instead. OK, I'm kidding, but only about the glass itself.
    And when I'm in Kyiv, there's no problem. It's more when I'm in places that have never even had Pringles potato chips/crisps that thinking low-tech can be useful. Vinegar-instead-of-Kodak-stop-bath type of thinking. Carrying a spare of some sort makes sense when the destination is a castle that can't be reached by 4x4. This is for the in-between times, where they have vinegar and wax paper, but might be short on many things I took for granted in the US.
    Maybe it seems like a fruitless mental exercise, but a friend here called this place 'a friendly Twilight Zone' and it fits. Great light, but whenever you turn around, whatever you need next and most is either missing or called something unpronounceable.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In the spirit of the question, you could cut a piece of plexiglass with a carpet knife and cover one side with scotch magic tape edge to edge.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jewelry supply catalogues and supplie stores, carry all the abrasives you would need. Rio Grande in Albuquerque is just one of them.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    If there is an auto repair place, they probably have Valve grinding compound. You can use that also to grind your own ground glass. Works well.

I guess you COULD get some scotch tape and go that route, but I promise you that it will take just as long to stick 50 strips of tape on a peice of glass, as it would if you made a REAL ground glass yourself.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    To return to the original question, if you need a replacement ground glass in a hurry it is probably because you broke it in the field. This is why I recommend carrying on your person, or in your camera bag, an acrylic glass ground glass that you can immediately place on the camera and continue your work.

Trekking off to the nearest Auto Supply Store, or Jewelery Store, is really not an option in many real life scenarios, especially if you happen the break the ground glass in a remote area, say about 1/4 mile off-road halfway between Mexican Hat and Hanksville, Utah.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 07-18-2005 at 10:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin