Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,140   Online: 782

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

How much for a 240mm Sironar?

Hi,
    I'm going to look at a single coated 240mm Rodenstock Sironar from the sixties, that has edge separation in the rear element. It looks like a band of rainbow, interrupted in places, but he's only asking $200. The lens is otherwise pristine. I'm just putting together my first 4x5 kit, and though it's a heavier lens than I wanted, it's fairly cheap. The shutter is suppposedly fine. I already own a 150, off ebay. What would you do? Being an 8x10 lens, how much does the separation matter ? Do any of you own one of these? Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbenaim
    Hi,
    I'm going to look at a single coated 240mm Rodenstock Sironar from the sixties, that has edge separation in the rear element. It looks like a band of rainbow, interrupted in places, but he's only asking $200. The lens is otherwise pristine. I'm just putting together my first 4x5 kit, and though it's a heavier lens than I wanted, it's fairly cheap. The shutter is suppposedly fine. I already own a 150, off ebay. What would you do? Being an 8x10 lens, how much does the separation matter ? Do any of you own one of these? Thanks in advance
    This is a rather common lens. I'd pass on one with separation, there are too many good ones available for not much more money (plus you have to figure the need for a CLA on the shutter).
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 240 is a great lens, and a good compliment to a 150 and a 90. It gives you a larger image circle than the more common 210, and greater working distances and nicer out of focus areas for portraits and still life.

However, if you can see the edge separation and needs a CLA, it will cost more to repair than it is worth. Offer $100 take it or leave it, as you can find similar or newer multi-coated vintage 210 - 300 lenses for $200-$300 that are perfect.

You probably won't see the effects of the separation in 4x5 but it depends on how bad it is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin