Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,036   Online: 802

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    It's always nice when you're the one selling the lens

I once sold an 80-200 f/2.8 zoom on ebay for more than it cost new!

It seems to be happening all the time now :rolleyes: Either that or nobody bids on the item. Last month I bought a bronica. Nobody bid on it. Yesterday I watched a similar setup get bid $200-300 higher then I paid and not hit the reserve. The one that went yesterday had a metering prism but over all looked worse shape then mine. Mine came with a six month warranty from a reputable seller. The other one from a guy with low feedback. I paid $10 for shipping. The other guy wanted $80!.

Today I'm watching a flash part. It's already 50% more then the one I ordered from KEH. In 12 hours when the auction ends I'm tempting to write the 2nd bidder and offer the one I bought

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's always "buyer beware" with any used equipment, especially large format lenses. So long as the seller doesn't describe it wrong, the actual performance of the lens is still going to fall within the original manufacturer's tolerances.

People complained about some of the early Schneider XL lenses. I ain't going to buy an XL lens off eBay - I know better. But I probably would take a chance on a classic Schneider Symmar or Rodenstock Sironar because I figure most of the time people are just unloading them because they need the money or aren't using it or have gotten something better.

I also wouldn't buy a fancy $1500 35/DSLR AF lens used unless I could try it. Too much variation. But I'd probably buy a $300 prime used no problem.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Depends. Sometimes a poor description and a fuzzy picture conceal an excellent deal. If it's something that I know is a basically good item and if any problem it is likely to have is something I can fix, I might take an informed risk for the right price, and it usually comes out well, and if it doesn't, I haven't lost much.

A bad one was a Perrin bag with a lot of junk in it in much worse condition than it looked in the picture. There were one or two items worth keeping, one small item that was in good condition that I sold, and I decided to keep the bag for tools (it was too grungy for cameras). I was out $15.

A good one was my recent Sinar F purchase, which was part of an estate buyout. I invested $650 or so, sold off parts of the purchase that I didn't need, Kept the Sinar F with bag bellows and standard bellows, 6" extension rail, Sinar-Technika lensboard adapter, bellows clips and rods to use the bellows as a lens shade, 4" filter holder, a black Leitz Tiltall in excellent shape with extra heavy duty knobs, about 30-odd 75mm gel filters, Fiberbilt case for the camera and another hard case for lighting, small darkcloth, three brand new Wista lensboards (two undrilled), 3 lens spanners, a few levels, a nice cable release, a dozen like-new Toyo filmholders, and a few other odds and ends. My final cost was $200.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought my Contax RTSIII and lenses about three years ago on Ebay with a couple of items coming from photo.net and B&H. The time I was buying the Auto-focus N! was fairly new on the market and the N1 Digital was just being released which used the autofocus lenses. All the lenses that I bought were received in like new condition. One lens was from Australia and another from Hong Kong. There was only lens that did not equal its rating, in my opinion, by the seller. He said mint minus..I figured at best it was excellent plus. My money was returned in full and I acquired a different lens.

Generally, these like new lenses were being acquired at about 40% of the B&H
    price. I asked questions prior to bidding and had a thorough look at the seller's comments.

A couple af months ago I bought a Brumac 3 color densitometer in like new condition for $21.95+ shipping. Included in the box was the original sales invoice for $1995.00.

Don't you just love these idiots that have to have the newest and latest item and then sell like new equipment for a song?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've bought a lot on eBay and only gotten "burned" once that I stayed burned. It wasn't a lot of money and I've been happy with the eBay experience. David brings up a good point - somtimes you get an unexpectedly good deal. Like the time I bought 50 4x5 Riteways and found they were loaded with unexposed, and good, old thick base Tri-X. 100 sheets for free minus two I pulled the slides on.

Steve

A Buescher True Tone a "dog?" Surely you jest! Was it High Pitch? C-Melody? Were the keys swedged or something? Tru-tones, 'Dorffs and Artars are kind of the "gold standard" in my neck of the woods;-) I'm fortunate enough to have all three to play with!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    ... Don't you just love these idiots that have to have the newest and latest item and then sell like new equipment for a song?
    A while ago I met a professional (ad) photographer who turned out to be the previous owner of one of my LF cameras. He said the same thing - he upgraded his d*g*tal equipment twice a year buying last year's top equipment. I had to admit that I love the "idiots" too, since all this great professional LF equipment comes on the market for a song
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    A Buescher True Tone a "dog?" Surely you jest! Was it High Pitch? C-Melody? Were the keys swedged or something? Tru-tones, 'Dorffs and Artars are kind of the "gold standard" in my neck of the woods;-) I'm fortunate enough to have all three to play with!
    It was a MAJOR dog. Built in 1917 (according to it's serial number), it had seen MUCH better days. It was a regular Bb tenor, but didn't have a high F and had the real old style palm keys.

We did a full overhaul (Liz is a professional horn mechanic), but it never played quite right. I suspect it wasn't the original neck.

FWIW - My alto is a 1929 True-Tone (dark lacquer) and is a kick-ass horn. My wife has an TT alto from 1927 (in satin silver) that is simply perfect in every way. We also have a 1923 satin silver TT alto in the horn closet waiting restoration. Other TT's in the house include a 1925 C-melody in satin silver, a 1934 Bb tenor in satin silver, a 1925 C soprano (yes, in C!) without lacquer. I love my '29 alto - the sweetest horn I've ever played, bar none!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Their is one or two good seller on Ebay of USED LF lens. They usually do a very honest rating system and give you a warrenty on the lens. The thing is, when you buy it from them...you are not saving THAT much money off buying a new one.

I purchase a Kodak Ektar 14" that the guy said was in "PERFECT" condition. It was not, and I ended up paying more money to get it fixed..THEN I PAIDED FOR THE LENS!

If you get ripped off, you can always get your money back from Ebay or PayPal.

Be careful

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been burned on eBay a lot more as a seller than as a buyer. Basically when I buy, I figure it's a risk, and I bid accordingly. One particular time I got 'burned' as a buyer (well not really, but it did tie up $70 for 3 months) was when I bought a Linhof Super Rollex from a seller with feedback in the 4 digits (so you would assume a good seller), they listed it at an opening bid of $49.00 and I was the only bidder, so won it at that price! I really couldn't believe it, but I got a money order for the amount with shipping (it ended up being around $68 and change), and mailed it off to them. After not getting it in a couple of weeks or so, I called them, and they claim then never got the money order, but that I should wait, they'll probably get it any day now. Same reply after I call them once a week for a few more weeks. Finally I offer to pay them with a credit card (they accept credit cards directly or thru PayPal), and they tell me to wait some more. A week later when I called and again offered to use my credit card they tell me it's too late, they never got my payment, so sold it to somebody else! This without a single email from them asking for payment after the initial one. I had been in contact with them, etc. I personally feel they got the money order, and threw it in the garbage, just because they didn't want to sell the item at the price it went for!

Lately I've had lots of trouble with people not reading the terms of the listing, then complaining! I just this week got my 3rd negative feedback, from a german buyer who complained that I charged too much for shipping, and it took too long. Well, in my listings I specify that international bidders should email me BEFORE bidding for a shipping quote, but this guy didn't and only asked shipping after winning the item!

I'm almost ready to state in my listings that international shipping will cost $100.00 extra unless they request a shipping quote from me BEFORE they bid, but I don't know how well that would fly!

-Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin