Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,979   Online: 909

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone used the Lightware BP 1420 pack?

I've seen used ones occasionally and lightware's other stuff seems very sturdy.
    http://www.lightwareinc.com/site/ima...1420B_Back.jpg
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The problem with using this as a backpack is that it's going to be very uncomfortable. The pack is flat and does conform to the curve of your back. It's the same problem as rolling backpacks. They're nice, right up until the point where you want to pack with them.

I have a Lightware MF1217 for my Arca-Swiss 4x5. It fits inside of a Kelty Redwing 3100 for hiking.

-Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could be right. My problem is i can't find a larger than my current lowepro that is long enough for my torso, I'm 6'3" and the hip belts on anything i've tried come to about my belly button and not my hips. I'm may order the F64 BPX but i've heard it's flimsy. The rep said it fits him and he's about my height.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've owned one for about 2 years, and it holds my 8x10 canham, 2 lens, filters, etc. With the shell it does a great job protecting my equipment. There is an outer pocket that will hold up to 6 8x10 holders, but it gets pretty heavy, so I don't carry that many.

The harness system does a good job as well. Perhaps not as good as a dedicated backpack, but I get the benefit of the shell to protect my stuff.

I'm very happy I bought it.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't take it on a long hike but it seems like a great everyday case - except that it no longer meets the airline carry-on regulations. Most airlines will let you squeak by, especially if you explain that it is valuable and fragile photo gear, but someday you might have to fly Air France....

Think Tank, a sports photography speciality bag maker, has a backpack that meets the maximum airline size and is very flexible and well made. Also $400. But it looks like the best of the lot. See http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have had one for several years. It's big but you can still fill it up if you arent careful. Has a good harness system, I find it comfortable enough but am not much into long treks with a 4x5 kit. If I were would probably get a real backpacking backpack if you know what I mean.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin