Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,648   Posts: 1,623,432   Online: 1150

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

5x7>4x5 reducing back options

Hi all,
    Still doing more research on my new 5x7. I'm considering looking for a reducing back so I can use 4x5 slide film (it seems like there are very few 5x7 e6 options out there).

Do all reducing backs fit onto all 5x7 cameras? Is it a standard of some type?

allan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No they are not standard. If you have a wooden camera, it is often possible to adapt something from another wooden camera, but in general, you need a reducing back made by the manufacturer of your camera.

Toho makes some reducing holders that slide into the back and hold a smaller holder in them. You might be able to get them from Badger Graphic, which imports the Toho Shimo ultralight monorails.

If you want to mess around with antiques, there are 5x7-->4x5" plate holder adapters, and 4x5" film sheaths. Believe it or not, I have a bunch of these that I can use with my plate mag and a few plate holders that I have for my 5x7" Press Graflex.

There are 5x7" E-6 films--again try Badger Graphic. They seem to stock more in this size than other places. Another option is to cut down 8x10". Check the forum at lfphoto.info for Q-T Luong's experience with this. He's done quite a lot of it using a Rotatrim.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best thing is to get a complete camera. It's a lot cheaper to get a package then to later waste months searching.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What kind of 5x7 do you have? I have a Kodak 2D and I know that Burke and James 5x7 backs fit it, but you have to move the pins. It seems as though B&J used the same size for all of their 5x7's but Kodak didn't, the back from a Kodak 33A does not fit the 2D or the B&J.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    Hi all,
    Still doing more research on my new 5x7. I'm considering looking for a reducing back so I can use 4x5 slide film (it seems like there are very few 5x7 e6 options out there).

Do all reducing backs fit onto all 5x7 cameras? Is it a standard of some type?

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. It's a Seneca Improved View, so it's pretty old. It's not a high priority for me, it would've just been kind of neat to shoot slides. I'll go check out Badger Graphic, as well as the prospect of cutting 8x10 down.

allan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    Thanks for the info. It's a Seneca Improved View, so it's pretty old. It's not a high priority for me, it would've just been kind of neat to shoot slides. I'll go check out Badger Graphic, as well as the prospect of cutting 8x10 down.

allan
    Might be cheaper to get an inexpensive 4x5 back and build it up with a sheet of marine plywood or something fancier. Lots of trashed Burke and James 4x5s show up on ebay. I've also made a 4x5 back for a Deardorff 5x7 using an old Graflock back from a trashed Speed Graphic.

Joe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin