Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,045   Online: 969

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    ok, so I don't know if the reading glass thing would really work..sorry about that. It's late and I'm feeing a bit punchy. Need to goto bed now...Lens and repro are good so are MPEX and KEH. Igor is a little bit optimistic in his grading. Prices at camera west seem to me to be mostly outrageous and, belive it or not, they don't really appear to be very knowlegeable. I like MPEX and KEH better than all the rest for used equipment. Adorama also sell used stiff on their web site but, it's difficult to determine what exactly they're selling sometimes. They're pretty good about returns on used equipment though.

You might also try to PM jimgalli...as he ahs a whole garage full of lenses...I bet he could find something for you

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

lens option

nate,
    if you can hold off for awhile and svae some money -i'll sell you mine for bout 250.00 us. it's a nikkor and pretty good one at that. i am looking at a 90mm s. angulon and that would help pay for it. its on a 4x4 lens board. let me know if you're interested.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    ok, so I don't know if the reading glass thing would really work..sorry about that. It's late and I'm feeing a bit punchy. Need to goto bed now...Lens and repro are good so are MPEX and KEH. Igor is a little bit optimistic in his grading. Prices at camera west seem to me to be mostly outrageous and, belive it or not, they don't really appear to be very knowlegeable. I like MPEX and KEH better than all the rest for used equipment. Adorama also sell used stiff on their web site but, it's difficult to determine what exactly they're selling sometimes. They're pretty good about returns on used equipment though.

You might also try to PM jimgalli...as he ahs a whole garage full of lenses...I bet he could find something for you

Brad,

It was a fun thought while it lasted. And who am I to get between a man and his caustic humor?

Thanks for the quick reviews, and overall helpfulness. You're right, Camera West seemed (from my limited knowledge) less reasonable than the others I had seen. I like KEH a lot, but their large format lens choices seem to be generally confined to modern lenses. Certainly not bad, just costlier. Then again, I could always use a piece of foil.

The others...I will look into.

Also, Jeremy (my new best friend, live with it) made me an excellent offer. Maybe I'll drop Jim a line too, if I can muster the courage (my photographer-bugging endurance is only so great).

-Nate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not eBay? Lotsa interesting lenses there, and they sometimes go far below market. Just remember that all shutters are presumed in need of an overhaul until proven ok.

Incidentally, "I wanna lens" isn't very specific. Do you have any idea what you're looking for? Wide? Normal? Long? Anything at all that will fit the camera and cover the format?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Lens and Repro

Jeremy et al-about Lens and Repro-one should not always judge the book by the cover. What they do carry is some GREAT glass. So if one was to purchase a barrel lens from them which they have some good ones right now you might pay slightly more but can be assured of getting top quality. For instrance they have a Ross 10 inch in barrel. I have this same lens with a shutter which I got from them over thirty years ago. Adequately covers 5x7. Great lens too.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd recommend KEH or mpex.com for the best prices on used gear, if eBay doesn't appeal to you.

You might also try Photo Gizzmo (www.photogizzmo.com for the phone number--not much info on the website). Louis Shu is very knowledgable and friendly, his prices are fair, and not having much of a web presence, his stock isn't quite so picked over as some of the other dealers, and he has a lot of nice classic lenses.

For $100 bucks, though, it might be difficult. Maybe look for a 135mm Optar or something like that. For a little more, you could try for a 135mm Symmar convertible.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently started using a speed graphic, and needed some cheap glass to get started with. I bought a polaroid for very little and pulled the 127 rodenstock lens and shutter. Great lens, no movements.
    I bought a 210mm Russian barrell lens that is surprisingly good. Covers the limited movements of the speed just fine. The lens board to mount it cost more than the lens.
    Decent cheap lenses can be had.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nate, I have a lens you can have free. Well almost free It is a Symmar 5.6/210 12/370 convertible ~ two for the price of one!. It will have superb coverage even when you have twisted you camera like a Pretzel. It is in a pretty grim shape, the rear element is damaged on the edge and has a little star fungus but it works surprisingly well when stopped down. The shutter is sticky at the slower speeds. The cost is the postage costs from the UK and a small donation to this site. Postage will be under $20. Subscription here is as little as $12 for a year and you'll get access to the galleries. If you are interested PM me.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by atenlaugh
    Eventually, I'd like as-nice-as-possible. I'm just looking for something to play with until my (limited) funds can grow respectable enough for nicer, more modern (maybe) equipment. It's not an issue of how much I WANT to spend, but how much I can. Probably around $100 or less, at this point.

And, yes. Patience is important. I suppose tonight the ol' OCD is kicking in.

Less then $100? Ebay. Look for a 210mm process lens. Not the wide angle types that cover 8x10 or more. Well the Agfa 210mm if you can get it for $20 to $30 would be okay.

Other then that? Older Xenars. 150mm with some effort much less then $100.

With a bit more effort. Look for a used press or other older beaten up camera with a lens. Keep the lens sell the camera-) If you keep your eye open a beaten up press camera not from Graflex will often sell for less then $100 including a lens.

If you're willing to spend a little more go to KEH. They've got a bargain 150mm Xenar right now for not much more then $100.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Brewer
    Nate, I have a lens you can have free. Well almost free It is a Symmar 5.6/210 12/370 convertible ~ two for the price of one!. It will have superb coverage even when you have twisted you camera like a Pretzel. It is in a pretty grim shape, the rear element is damaged on the edge and has a little star fungus but it works surprisingly well when stopped down. The shutter is sticky at the slower speeds. The cost is the postage costs from the UK and a small donation to this site. Postage will be under $20. Subscription here is as little as $12 for a year and you'll get access to the galleries. If you are interested PM me.
    In your situation, I'd take that deal. I have one of these, and it's a good lens. To use it as a 370mm, you'll need at least 18" of bellows, though.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin