Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,812   Online: 757

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

4x5 lenses; a practical question

Dear Apugers,

While I have found much information on (some) of the lenses available to a 4x5 user, it seems like it's difficult to find where to BUY those lenses (I could, of course, be blind).

My main concern is with finding a cheap lens. I wouldn't mind a barrel lens, so long as it's functional, and cheap. Some respectable coverage wouldn't be so bad. That's all I ask, really.

So, more than just information about the lenses: What are my options for purchasing? I don't want to do the Ebay route... even if one of you guys has something sitting around...

What I mean to say, is, I have this beautiful camera sitting here (thanks Eric), and my whole being is YEARNING to play with it, and I need to find information, quickly, before this timer within me...well, you know.

Sincerely,
    Nate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a nice Symmar 210mm convertible from Midwest Photo Exchange. I am not sure what they have in stock right now, but it is worth a look. http://www.mpex.com. There is also KEH, they have pretty good prices and I have had great service from them. http://www.keh.com.

Good luck,

Paul.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by atenlaugh
    My main concern is with finding a cheap lens. I wouldn't mind a barrel lens, so long as it's functional, and cheap. Some respectable coverage wouldn't be so bad. That's all I ask, really.
    Hmmm, what do you mean by cheap? Seriously, how much do you want to spend (or, not spend as the case may be)?

If you want "nearly free", you could start with a pin hole made in tin foil...i guess.

People do sell LF lenses here from time to time. I guess if you are opposed to eBay, and you want really cheap, then you have to be a little patient...and fast to respond when something comes up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Eventually, I'd like as-nice-as-possible. I'm just looking for something to play with until my (limited) funds can grow respectable enough for nicer, more modern (maybe) equipment. It's not an issue of how much I WANT to spend, but how much I can. Probably around $100 or less, at this point.

And, yes. Patience is important. I suppose tonight the ol' OCD is kicking in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    if you gotta have something to play with - right now - go out to the drug store and get yer self a big magnifying glass (Sherlock holmes style) and some electrical tape....tape that baby to a carefully fitted piece of cardbord and go to it!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

lens choices

hey eric,
    what are looking to shoot? it could give me an idea. i got a 135w nikkor w/ my 4x5 camera. i am currently looking to get a 90mm super angulon. try mpex.com-they have some good stuff there. you might want to talk to jim there, he hooked me up with mine for about 800(sinar f1,nikkor 135w lens and cable-the lens has both caps and the lenses are like new and can mounted there for you. they have really good prices on there lenses if you can give em the look over. let me know what you decide, i know what it's like getting a new toy and not being able to wait to play with it. til then will be wishing best of luck w/ your decision!!! :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll even use gaffers tape, to show that I'm serious.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

mistaken id and whats your poison.....lens choice??

oops.....nate,
    was talking to guy named eric earlier today bout this subject...sorry for confusion...but let me know still whats up

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SinarF1user
    hey eric,
    what are looking to shoot? it could give me an idea. i got a 135w nikkor w/ my 4x5 camera. i am currently looking to get a 90mm super angulon. try mpex.com-they have some good stuff there. you might want to talk to jim there, he hooked me up with mine for about 800(sinar f1,nikkor 135w lens and cable-the lens has both caps and the lenses are like new and can mounted there for you. they have really good prices on there lenses if you can give em the look over. let me know what you decide, i know what it's like getting a new toy and not being able to wait to play with it. til then will be wishing best of luck w/ your decision!!! :-)

Oh, tight landscapes and portraits. Probably. Looking in the normal-long range, mostly, until a wider whim hits me. And I'll definitely check it out, whether I purchase anything now or later.

Hey, has anybody used Lens and Repro? Do they have decent service?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by atenlaugh
    Hey, has anybody used Lens and Repro? Do they have decent service?
    Expensive, waaaaay too expensive
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin