Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,812   Online: 757
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    atenlaugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PA, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    98
    Images
    5

    4x5 lenses; a practical question

    Dear Apugers,

    While I have found much information on (some) of the lenses available to a 4x5 user, it seems like it's difficult to find where to BUY those lenses (I could, of course, be blind).

    My main concern is with finding a cheap lens. I wouldn't mind a barrel lens, so long as it's functional, and cheap. Some respectable coverage wouldn't be so bad. That's all I ask, really.

    So, more than just information about the lenses: What are my options for purchasing? I don't want to do the Ebay route... even if one of you guys has something sitting around...

    What I mean to say, is, I have this beautiful camera sitting here (thanks Eric), and my whole being is YEARNING to play with it, and I need to find information, quickly, before this timer within me...well, you know.


    Sincerely,
    Nate

  2. #2
    Paul Sorensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,895
    Images
    26
    I got a nice Symmar 210mm convertible from Midwest Photo Exchange. I am not sure what they have in stock right now, but it is worth a look. http://www.mpex.com. There is also KEH, they have pretty good prices and I have had great service from them. http://www.keh.com.

    Good luck,

    Paul.

  3. #3
    BradS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area, California
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,055
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by atenlaugh
    My main concern is with finding a cheap lens. I wouldn't mind a barrel lens, so long as it's functional, and cheap. Some respectable coverage wouldn't be so bad. That's all I ask, really.
    Hmmm, what do you mean by cheap? Seriously, how much do you want to spend (or, not spend as the case may be)?

    If you want "nearly free", you could start with a pin hole made in tin foil...i guess.


    People do sell LF lenses here from time to time. I guess if you are opposed to eBay, and you want really cheap, then you have to be a little patient...and fast to respond when something comes up.

  4. #4
    atenlaugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PA, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    98
    Images
    5
    Eventually, I'd like as-nice-as-possible. I'm just looking for something to play with until my (limited) funds can grow respectable enough for nicer, more modern (maybe) equipment. It's not an issue of how much I WANT to spend, but how much I can. Probably around $100 or less, at this point.

    And, yes. Patience is important. I suppose tonight the ol' OCD is kicking in.

  5. #5
    BradS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area, California
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,055
    Images
    1
    if you gotta have something to play with - right now - go out to the drug store and get yer self a big magnifying glass (Sherlock holmes style) and some electrical tape....tape that baby to a carefully fitted piece of cardbord and go to it!

  6. #6
    Dan's45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Tacoma,WA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    90
    Images
    4

    lens choices

    hey eric,
    what are looking to shoot? it could give me an idea. i got a 135w nikkor w/ my 4x5 camera. i am currently looking to get a 90mm super angulon. try mpex.com-they have some good stuff there. you might want to talk to jim there, he hooked me up with mine for about 800(sinar f1,nikkor 135w lens and cable-the lens has both caps and the lenses are like new and can mounted there for you. they have really good prices on there lenses if you can give em the look over. let me know what you decide, i know what it's like getting a new toy and not being able to wait to play with it. til then will be wishing best of luck w/ your decision!!! :-)

  7. #7
    atenlaugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PA, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    98
    Images
    5
    I'll even use gaffers tape, to show that I'm serious.

  8. #8
    Dan's45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Tacoma,WA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    90
    Images
    4

    mistaken id and whats your poison.....lens choice??

    oops.....nate,
    was talking to guy named eric earlier today bout this subject...sorry for confusion...but let me know still whats up

  9. #9
    atenlaugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PA, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    98
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by SinarF1user
    hey eric,
    what are looking to shoot? it could give me an idea. i got a 135w nikkor w/ my 4x5 camera. i am currently looking to get a 90mm super angulon. try mpex.com-they have some good stuff there. you might want to talk to jim there, he hooked me up with mine for about 800(sinar f1,nikkor 135w lens and cable-the lens has both caps and the lenses are like new and can mounted there for you. they have really good prices on there lenses if you can give em the look over. let me know what you decide, i know what it's like getting a new toy and not being able to wait to play with it. til then will be wishing best of luck w/ your decision!!! :-)

    Oh, tight landscapes and portraits. Probably. Looking in the normal-long range, mostly, until a wider whim hits me. And I'll definitely check it out, whether I purchase anything now or later.

    Hey, has anybody used Lens and Repro? Do they have decent service?

  10. #10
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,767
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by atenlaugh
    Hey, has anybody used Lens and Repro? Do they have decent service?
    Expensive, waaaaay too expensive
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

    blog
    website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin