Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,971   Online: 1063

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you do consider 5x7 and want a wide camera, look at the walker 5x7XL....It is rock solid, cheap (comparatively) and very easy to use. It is essentially the same in concept as the Ebony SW45 except bigger and made from ABS. It is also cheaper.....takes the Canham 6x17 better than anything else on the market etc etc.

I am very pleased with mine.

Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I went from 4x5 to 5x7 based on the ability to use the same lenses for both formats and still get a bigger negative. The only disappointment was that 5x7 while a wonderful size just doesn't hang well on the wall. It's fabulous as a hand held portfolio, but it's not "gallery" sized.

Here's one other thing to think about. How do you plan to show your final print?
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    If you do consider 5x7 and want a wide camera, look at the walker 5x7XL....It is rock solid, cheap (comparatively) and very easy to use. It is essentially the same in concept as the Ebony SW45 except bigger and made from ABS. It is also cheaper.....takes the Canham 6x17 better than anything else on the market etc etc.

I am very pleased with mine.

Tom
    Another nice 5X7 to consider is the Shen-Hao. Also very similar in design to the Ebony, and rock solid with about 600mm of bellows draw. I purchased mine directly from the factory for less than $1100. The 5X7 model Shen-Hao is especially well built, with nice teak wood and titanium metal.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would agree that 5x7 is the better format if you want to stay with enlarging. As Don Miller pints out, a 5x7 enlarger is still very manageable; both in cost and physical size. An 8x10 enlarger is a sizeable, and lets say permanently fixed, piece of machinery.

Still, I would vote for the 8x10 camera body with the reducing backs. Once you experience the different sizes, you will know which direction to follow.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka
    I went from 4x5 to 5x7 based on the ability to use the same lenses for both formats and still get a bigger negative. The only disappointment was that 5x7 while a wonderful size just doesn't hang well on the wall. It's fabulous as a hand held portfolio, but it's not "gallery" sized.

Here's one other thing to think about. How do you plan to show your final print?
    I have seen many wonderful 4x5 and 5x7 prints in galleries and museums.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi:

First, 5x7 us a GREAT format; however, without an enlarger I would not want it to be my largest format. If you can't enlarge 5x7, I'd go with an 8x10 and add on a 5x7 reducing back later. 8x10 is definitely not too large to start out with.

Have fun!

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I admit... I've only glanced through the previous responses...

I love the 5X7 format. I also shoot 4X5 and 8X10, but to me, 5X7 is the ideal format for both landscape work and for portraiture.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

oops! I guess I just bought another camera...

Not exactly consensus in this matter ??? What a surprise :-)

So after I yesterday was pretty sure that it was right to start with 8x10 and not 5x7, a large number of You came with very convincing arguments for 5x7. Ole even offered to do some 5x7 enlargements for me, as well as 13x18 cm plate camera.

And this morning while surfing the LF section of the auction site, I found this camera and it looked like a nice first camera in 5x7 without breaking the bank... I sure that there will be larger cameras in due time... :-))

Now off to find some film...

Thanks all of you for the ALL of the advice and arguments!!

All the best
    Morten :-)

"Please ! Bring me into the company of those who seek the truth, and deliver me from those who have found it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't want really wide lenses that camera will be great. Don't expect to use a 90mm but other then that issue it's a nice camera. Good price to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think if you can't enlarge 5x7 go with the 8x10. Also do it while you are able to carry the weight. That won't last forever and you'll always wonder what if? I've pretty much dropped out of regular use of 8x10 and gone to 5x7. I can carry that outfit but 8x10 needs a cart. But I can enlarge 5x7. Also like the shape better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin